Stud suddenly visible on kitchen ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just noticed the round shaped crack in the kitchen ceiling. No idea what could have caused this. (Landing above)

Any wisdom much appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• CCFA9F0F-4D5D-4EC7-8CF9-6E208E234C8A.jpeg
    CCFA9F0F-4D5D-4EC7-8CF9-6E208E234C8A.jpeg
    227.7 KB · Views: 84
Sponsored Links
Old light fitting that has been capped. Is it about 70mm diameter?

What is the ceiling made of?

It that about the size of 1p coin. I'll bet a screw head.

Sponsored Links
Or if the property is a bit older it could be a clout nail head. Round here some of the local builders were still using them well into the 1990s :rolleyes:

It looks like a popped nail , scrape the loose plater/paint off the head to check it is a nail, and it is fixed into the joist and not a missed nail , then firmly push the board up to the joist and hammer it further into the joist, but bear in mind it may force other nails that are not nailed in deep enough to pop,

Hi All

(Sorry for delay in responding-phone dead)

It’s 40mm diameter. I was wrong. It’s not protruding out, just a surface level, round, circular crack in plaster. Would it be to scrape the flaking plaster away to see what’s underneath before attempting a repair?

Thanks again

Following - I have something similar in my newish kitchen.

Following - I have something similar in my newish kitchen.
same thing , in new builds it is common to find popped nails or screws, you need to remove the popped plaster and knock or screw the fixing deeper into the joist, that's if it is in the joist and has not missed it completely, if that is the case then just pull it out and fill the small hole with filler

Hi again

Have scraped off flaking plaster, Can’t tell if it’s a nail or screw. Also difficult to know if board has dropped?

Should I just repair from this position?

Many thanks

Attachments

• B32CF172-9099-4EE5-9738-D741F9BCFFAF.jpeg
    B32CF172-9099-4EE5-9738-D741F9BCFFAF.jpeg
    254.2 KB · Views: 66
yep it looks like a popped clout nail head, try and knock it up a bit with a punch and hammer , while you are up there push the ceiling board up a bit to see if it is loose , you may need to put another fixing in, if its solid just patch it up,

yep it looks like a popped clout nail head, try and knock it up a bit with a punch and hammer , while you are up there push the ceiling board up a bit to see if it is loose , you may need to put another fixing in, if its solid just patch it up,
Thanks. I pushed the ceiling board and it clunked a blit. Unfortunately, now exposed two adjacent nails

Attachments

• EF8E4C91-7DE4-4CCE-8225-E7D5DEEF5368.jpeg
    EF8E4C91-7DE4-4CCE-8225-E7D5DEEF5368.jpeg
    227.7 KB · Views: 39
Forgot photo

Attachments

• 86009E4E-FB52-46F0-8376-F7EE9DFC77EB.jpeg
    86009E4E-FB52-46F0-8376-F7EE9DFC77EB.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 51

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back