stud wall across a garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help,I want to partition half of my garage to make a utility room by knocking through from the kitchen and adding a single door.
The garage is built into the house with cavity walls to all sides and a garage door.
the garage floor is 4 bricks below damp and is concrete. 1.Do i need to build footings upto damp to sit the stud wall on or can it go straight onto the concrete.2.How thick does the stud wall need to be.3.what type and thickness insulation do i need,and do i have to double plasterboard the walls.
I live in Birmingham and my house is 48 years old.
Thanks for any help you can give.

Sponsored Links
are you putting a door in the stud wall?
This will help decide on the overall thickness of the wall, so a door frame can be fitted snug.

How are you finishing concrete floor off? with a screed or a raft like floor.
Has the base had a DPC placed in in when cast?
I would consider insulation under floor, maybe raft or screed first before partition is built.

If you use 100mm x 50mm studs, you will need a sole plate and a head plate, then install the studs at 400mm centres, install a nogin between each stud this will give extra strength to structure.
It will give you plenty of insulation in wall at 100mm, a single 12.5mm board should be fine, either side, if the external of this wall is in a cold spot I would also install a vapour check barrier or use foil back (duplex) boards.
You could use fireboards if fire regulations need to be adhered to or double board.

I assume you will be informing building controls regarding the change of use, they will help you if you ask them, regarding compling to regs.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the information, it is so helpful.
I intend to raise the floor up to the house level using 7x2 joists on concrete blocks and floor boards on top.I'm not sure if i need to add an additional vapour barrier to the concrete floor before i put joists in and also i assume i will have to insulate under the floor boards,which i'm not sure how this is done.Do i lie the insulation onto the concrete.
Thanks again for your patience.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back