Stud Wall advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What size timber do i use for stud partion wall ? and am i best nailing ot together or screwing ?

Sponsored Links
4x2 normally. Ask for cls when you order the timber. What's gonna be on either side of the wall? There's a neat trick you can do with 3x2 on a 4x2 baseplate, if soundproofing is a requirement, see here:

Hi,

I always screw stud walls together. If you need to adjust it whilst constructing it you can simply undo them. Plus they never ride out. Use 12.5mm plasterboard and screw them to the studs. Again, screws dont ride out so the heads wont popthe plaster.

Sponsored Links
check building regs as they have changed, i've been informed by my building inspector i cant use timber plus i have to use 15mm p/boards. :cry:

Hash=RS= said:
check building regs as they have changed, i've been informed by my building inspector i cant use timber plus i have to use 15mm p/boards. :cry:

That's nonsense! What was the Inspectors exact advise in relation to what you were doing?

Hash=RS= said:
check building regs as they have changed, i've been informed by my building inspector i cant use timber :cry:

that's a new one on me too!

i guess all the builders yards up and down the country will be having massive timber sales then. :eek: :eek:

There are no directions in building regs on what materials may or may not be used for ordinary stud partition. 15mm plasterboard is sometimes specified when the wall is a sound wall that needs to comply with Part E (Sound) but even in that situation there is nothing stopping you using timber stud as long as the finished wall passes the post test.

If the wall is a sound wall you may need to rethink. Otherwise use cls timber stud with 12.5 plasterboard. Personally I would nail the frame but always screw the plasterboard. What size cls you use depends on how solid a wall you want. 75x50 is very common but if you want something a bit more solid you might use 100x50. And for even more solid put 100mm mineral wool between the studs and face with 15mm plasterboard.

the exact advise was because of change of use, and because we have a lodger. 15mm boards for sound proofing

Hash=RS= said:
the exact advise was because of change of use, and because we have a lodger. 15mm boards for sound proofing

The 3x2 staggered stud approach (see my post above) would've been better, and slightly cheaper. You can use 12.5mm and get better performance than 15mm on a single 4x2 stud. Insulation between is important as well though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back