Stud wall and door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi- I want to divide my hallway to give the kids some coat and shoe room and to stop all the heat leaving every time the front door is opened.
Would a stud wall with a door in be easy enough for a DIY project and how do I go about it.??
I have uploaded some photos that show the hall, front door and stairs-which will need boxing in. :)
View media item 2922 View media item 2921

Sponsored Links
Looks a bit tight. You couldn't swing a cat in that area let alone a coat (or door)

What you need is a porch.

Feeling brave?

No, I don't want a porch, it would cost too much. And I wasn't planning on swinging any moggies about :eek:
The wall on the right is 3ft from the stairs which is big enough for a doorway isn't it :?: and the height where the stud wall would join the stairs is 5ft.This would give a small area in the hall under the stairs of 5ft one end sloping down to the floor and it would square off the main room without creating unusable space.
So back to the original post. How to go about it?

You will need:

Lengths of 3x2 cls timber.
12.5mm Plasterboard.
A door (with hinges and handle)
A door lining set.
Some mineral/glasswool insulation slab (not strictly necessary but will make the wall sound less hollow, plus will provide heat and sound insulation)

Trim (architrave, skirting) to tidy up the edges.

Screws/nails.

Lots and lots of info online about how to build stud walls and hang doors. Do some reading and come back when you get stuck.

Here

Here

Here

and Here

Sponsored Links
Sorry ignore comment, thought i saw another problem but double checked your pictures. :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back