Stud wall insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I’m planning on putting up a stud wall to a wall that has piers to create a straight flat wall. Wall is on the external face of the house and thinking while I’m at it, I should put some insulation in. Currently no issues with damp etc

what insulation should I be using?

thanks

Sponsored Links
How much depth is there?
Is acoustic insulation a consideration?
Electrics/pipes to avoid?

Your choices are basically solid insulation board (PIR) or mineral wool.
Board has approximately twice the insulation value for a given depth. Mineral wool is cheaper.

How much depth is there?
Is acoustic insulation a consideration?
Electrics/pipes to avoid?

Your choices are basically solid insulation board (PIR) or mineral wool.
Board has approximately twice the insulation value for a given depth. Mineral wool is cheaper.
Hi

I’m not too concerned for acoustic properties, it doesn’t join to neighbours.

I should have 90mm depth (using 89x38 cls). There will be some cables for sockets behind as will get it retired but no pipes as these will be surface mounted for washing machine

many thanks

Hi

I’m not too concerned for acoustic properties, it doesn’t join to neighbours.

I should have 90mm depth (using 89x38 cls). There will be some cables for sockets behind as will get it retired but no pipes as these will be surface mounted for washing machine

many thanks

this stuff is popular with builders as its easy to fit

https://www.insulationsuperstore.co...ive-multifoil-insulation-75mm-549m2-pack.html

you could use 50mm or 70mm celetex type board but its a pain to cut and fit.

Sponsored Links
Should the celotex be fitted to the wall wide and leave air gap in front before plasterboard?

“Multifoil” is a controversial product, it makes claims about its insulation values that are hard to substantiate.

you could use 50mm or 70mm celetex type board but its a pain to cut and fit.

Measure, cut slightly undersize, foam in. Easy.

Possibly go for more than 70mm.

No gap between board and plasterboard.

With all materials, details around sockets require some care.

“Multifoil” is a controversial product, it makes claims about its insulation values that are hard to substantiate.

Measure, cut slightly undersize, foam in. Easy.

Possibly go for more than 70mm.

No gap between board and plasterboard.

With all materials, details around sockets require some care.

thanks, should the gap be in between the wall and insulation itself? Could get possibly 90mm if not 100mm in as full full, won’t know 100% until stud wall has been built

thanks, should the gap be in between the wall and insulation itself? Could get possibly 90mm if not 100mm in as full full, won’t know 100% until stud wall has been built
is the wall single brick or a cavity wall? If it's single brick then the recommendation is that you leave a gap of about 25mm between the wall and the insulation. Not sure what the room's used for, but it might be wise to come out a bit further so you can at least put , say 25mm PIR board across the piers.
You could maybe build studwork out flush with piers and put 50 mm between the battens (or more depending on budget etc) and then cover the whole lot with another 25mm insulation + board or insulated plasterboard. This would also give you "warm" battens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back