Stud Wall Removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Forgive my novice questions but I am new to home alterations. I am wanting to partially remove a wall in my new house that separates the kitchen and the diner. The idea is to half the height of the wall and then use the half height to back kitchen cupboards upto but open the room up by removing the top.

I have been told it is not load bearing but because the bathroom is above it and the total ceiling length with be about 6m by 3m which will include both the diner and kitchen that I need an RSJ. I have also been told this is rubbish and the guy is trying to make more money from me!

What would your views on this be, if not load bearing and no RSJ then I am sure it is something that I can do myself and then get the ceiling and wall professionally skimmed etc.

Thanks for your help....
Adrian

Sponsored Links
As i said i am a newbie!

What further info is needed, just because it is not a load bearing wall does that not necessarily mean it does not need a RSJ? What factors also need to be considered?

If it is absolutely not load bearing then no other support is needed, it can simply be removed.

Do you know what direction the joists up stairs run? parallel or perpendicular to this wall?

To be certain the simplest way may be to remove a small section of plasterboard in the ceiling beside the stud and check if the joists or anything else is bearing onto it.

Sponsored Links
You may not have to remove a piece of plasterboard - you can normally see if you drop the ceiling rose and look through the hole the wires come through.

I don't think a timber partition wall in a modern house is likely to be load bearing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back