Stud Walling Cost/Time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had an offer accepted on a flat, my first property, and am looking to make some changes.

I plan to move from this as it is now:

To this:

As you can see I need to create a new stud wall to create a corridor, how long would it take to put something like that up??

Thanks in advance everyone!

Oh and if you have any comments about my plans please, please let me have them!

Sponsored Links
It does rather depend :

1) How competent are you ?
2) Do you have all the tools needed i.e. drill, bits, levels., drill-driver
3) What floor and ceiling are made of.
4) What finish you are putting on stud-wall
5) If there are any sockets or light-fittings to go in.

If it is being done by a builder/chippy, then it appears quite a straight forward job. Removing the existing cupboard and erecting the new partition should, at first glance, take no more than a few days.

Of course, if either of the cupboard walls are load bearing, then this will have to be dealt with before removing them and will obviously take longer. Any electrics/plumbing being moved or installed, and any making good, will also add to the time.

If you are doing it yourself then you will have to take your own capabilities and experience into account, but as I said, it does appear to be a relatively straight forward job.

Material costs should only be in the hundreds, but labour will see the price soar. It should be worth it though because you will be getting a much better layout.

Sponsored Links
maybe offer myself as labour to see how things are done?
If a professional is working to a price, this may not be such a good idea. :p

The stud wall can be built at a furious pace i.e. the carcass built in a matter of hours. However it is prudent to only board one side as to allow for electrics and plumbing as stated.

P.S. is it in a block of flats high up....?

what do you think?

Do you imagine the extra time required to move the materials up to the third floor is free?

you also need to make sure that services to other flats don't pass through your flat in an area you plan to move

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back