Studded Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am building a small studded wall/partition that will be at the end of the bath and will house the pipework etc for the shower mixer and taps. I was intending to build this from 3x2 and face with plywood before tiling. Is there some other type of board that would be better for this?.
Following this the bath would have tiled walls on three sides. Does this create any issues in the tiling process?
Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
If you use ply then make sure its wbp ply,my choice would be to use plasterboard and then tank it as needed.

Thanks,
would you use 'standard' plasterboard, or is there a water resistant type. I suppose the tanking would make it water proof anyway......I may have just answered my own question !!

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong lancenotalot’s tank over board solution but I think it’s a lot easier to fix Aquapanel in wet areas, fill & tape the joins & tile directly onto that especially on stud partitions; use a quality trade flexible adhesive & grout (BAL). You can PB everywhere else but don’t use standard wall board, use water resistant as bsr suggests.

There are a couple of reasons that I prefer plasterboard,

It's much easier to work with,a sharp stanley knife,ruler/straight edge and a pad saw and your away.

The next reason has been mentioned by gcol before,aquapanel is water resistant not water proof,therefore it will absorb water should it get through the tiles and grout.
Tanking is waterproof so water cannot pass through it.

The last reason is fixing the boards,plasterboard can be screwed straight onto studs,no pilots or dot and dabbed onto blockwork.
Aquapanel is cement based and very tough so putting screws straight through it is no easy feat so needs pilot holes.This increses the work when fitting onto studs.
If working onto blockwork it needs to be secured to the wall with fixings.
Again lots of drilling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back