Stupid Garden Steps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We bought our new house in December making us first time garden owners :) previously had a small town yard. We have a 3 year old and another baby due in June and want to make the garden as safe as possible but we have these stupid steps that we don't know how to change them to make them safer. The small step usually catches me off guard then I trip into the larger one.

How can we make these more like 2 equally spaced steps with the at the bottom also being shorter?

Ps we have little to no skills and I'm 7 months pregnant
Screenshot_2016-04-11-20-23-46.png

Sponsored Links
I think you have no option but to ask a friend or relative if they can do the work for you.
With 2 small kiddies who will be using the garden in the future I would suggest turning the steps into a gentle slope. Possibly a grass one.

2 more slabs on each slab as safeish temporary solution
possibly bricks at the back edge to reduce the gap ??

2 more slabs on each slab as safeish temporary solution
possibly bricks at the back edge to reduce the gap ??
+1
All you need to do is to make the steps equal in height. That's easily done by raising the height of the lower until they both match within about 10mm.
Use a mortar bed for each layer to obtain the correct thickness, level and secure steps.

Sponsored Links
Or maybe don't wrap kids up in cotton wool? They will son be familiar with things, what happens when they go outside beyond the safety of the garden? how do they cope in the park or wherever?

Thank you for the suggestions, raising the bottom step up and using a mortar bed sounds really doable. It's funny how a second pair of eyes can sometimes see a simpler solution. Many thanks again.

It wasn't a parenting question freddiemercurystwin, a diy response would have maybe been more fitting. It's my first time posting and would love not to be put off using these forums again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back