Stupid skirting board joints grrrrrr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, currently fitting new skirtings. I'm not so happy with my internal scribe joints so wanted to get opinion and see if I am bring too picky !

It's going to be varnished and not painted mind....

External for comparison

Sponsored Links
The externals are wonderful....are the internals actually scribed, or mitred?
On this awful iPad of mine, they look to be mitred?
John :)

Yes they are scribed john , or at least it looks like it to me. To be honest I've seen worse but as to wether it's unacceptable depends on who's going to be living with it and perhaps how much furniture is going to be in front of it.
With regards to scribing one tip is to mitre the internal joint first which gives the exact line to cut the scribe on.

Thanks for replying. The internals are scribed yes. They aren't fixed to the walls yet but I'm just not 100% happy....

It's my first go at skirting :)

Sponsored Links
To do an internal corner one piece gets fitted to the internal corner with 90 degree cut butting up to the adjacent wall, the next piece is scribed into it thus forming the seamless 90 degree corner. To do a scribe, cut the end of the skirting which will join the piece already fitted at 45 degrees on your chop saw, then mark the outline of the profile with a pencil and cut it with a coping saw, angle the coping saw slightly whilst cutting so you have a cut back effect, the offer it up, you may have to adjust your cut slightly if the walls araren't perfectly upright. Good luck

To do an internal corner one piece gets fitted to the internal corner with 90 degree cut butting up to the adjacent wall, the next piece is scribed into it thus forming the seamless 90 degree corner. To do a scribe, cut the end of the skirting which will join the piece already fitted at 45 degrees on your chop saw, then mark the outline of the profile with a pencil and cut it with a coping saw, angle the coping saw slightly whilst cutting so you have a cut back effect, the offer it up, you may have to adjust your cut slightly if the walls araren't perfectly upright. Good luck

Yep that's what I meant , but chirpychippy has put it much better.

That's the method on using, not quite perfected it yet. I think I need to angle the undercut more.

You only need do the Ogee profile with a coping saw, the straight bit is easier with panel saw angled away still though. Another tip is to do a template scribe on a short bit of skirt first then use this to work out how out of square all future scribes will be before you cut them.

In the first two pictures, the bit on the left looks to be sitting slightly higher than the bit on the right...

Cheers
Richard

Thanks for the tips / feedback. I went back to them and did some tidying up. Results below.

I am much happier with my results now :)

Not fitted permanently yet. should I PVA glue the joints ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back