Sub Consumer Unit

Sponsored Links
The 18th is a part of the Building Regs which are law (criminal law). BS are recommendations. BS are only law when a part of the 18th points to a BS number as being a part of the regs.
What onn earth are you talking about?!

I presume your reference to "the 18th" is a reference to the 18th edition of BS7671 (BS7671:2018) - which, is as you say, is just a Standard whose 'requirements' are not mandatory, and has absolutely nothing to do with any law, criminal or otherwise.

The only relevant law in Part OP of the Building Regulations, and that is just one sentence. Many/most people use compliance with BS7671 as a means of demonstrating compliance with the law (Part P), but that is their choice, not mandatory or 'law'.

Electrical regs are a part of the Building regs. Wandering off topic here.

Sponsored Links
The stackables only use one Mainswitch in the master CU.
That's what I said - and also that, if they had two, tey would be non-compliant with BS7671.
The only way I can see a non-stackable CU having a sub CU is drilling the bus bar on the master CU after the mainswitch. Other views welcome.
You may well be able to put the additional conductors into the load terminals of the main switch, particularly if there is only one (or no) RCDs

Electrical regs are a part of the Building regs. Wandering off topic here.
Again, rubbish. See my recent post explaining the relationship between BS7671 (aka 'The Wiring Regs') and Part P of the Building Regs (the only bit of 'law' involved).

BS7671 is mentioned as one way to satisfy the requirements but not mandated.
Indeed so. As I wrote (somewhat less succinctly :) ) ...
.... The only relevant law in Part P of the Building Regulations, and that is just one sentence. Many/most people use compliance with BS7671 as a means of demonstrating compliance with the law (Part P), but that is their choice, not mandatory or 'law'.

In fact, even the mention of the fact that compliance with BS7671 is one way to satisfy Part P only appears ('as guidance') in an Approved Document, so even that does not have 'the power of law' (and therefore, I suppose, 'the law' is not compelled to abide by that statement!).

Kind Regards, John

That's what I said - and also that, if they had two, tey would be non-compliant with BS7671.
You may well be able to put the additional conductors into the load terminals of the main switch, particularly if there is only one (or no) RCDs
So a bus bar lug and a lug for the L tail to the sub CU into the mainswitch incomer. The L tail wire has a lug or a soldered end.

So a bus bar lug and a lug for the L tail to the sub CU into the mainswitch incomer. The L tail wire has a lug or a soldered end.
As I said, the L conductor might fit into the main switch terminal, without the need for any 'lugs'.

BS 7671 Requirements for electrical installations. is non-statutory.

The Electricity at Work Regulations (EWR) 1989. is statutory.

As I said, the L conductor might fit into the main switch terminal, without the need for any 'lugs'.
Legal I am am sure. Frowned up.

Having the sub CU with no incomer means the L tail has to connect to the bus bar - that means drilling it and bolting the L tail onto the bar.

Stackable Wylex CU but all in one unit and very expensive:

wylex-nmdrs34hi-34-way-triple-rcd-high-integrity-consumer-unit-2857-1-p[ekm]340x340[ekm].jpg

The idea is to stack two separate CUs.

Legal I am am sure. Frowned up.
If you believe that, you would have to 'frown upon' almost all 'high integrity' CUs - which generally have two conductors (one to feed each RCD) plus a busbar (to feed non-RCD circuits) in the load terminal of the main switch.

Therefore, provided that yours is not a 'high integrity' CU, the main switch terminal should be able to accommodate your 'extra' conductor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back