Sub-Floor Prep [PIC]

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently ripping out the old floor in the kitchen and found some grey stuff in the room the kitchen will be extended to:

RD28fZr.jpg

At the threshold between the two rooms:

P8stf9o.jpg

ins3Y5m.jpg

Black floor is mastic on concrete. I think the grey stuff is a very thin layer of levelling compound which was put on before the beige vinyl tiles were installed, what do you guys think?

Either way, should I just rip out the beige tiles leaving the grey part and self-level the old black floor which is about 5mm lower?

If I was lazy and didn't want to level could I just use thicker tile adhesive for the black floor part?

And lastly should I be using the same acrylic primer used for tiling, under the floor leveling compound?

Of course I plan on scratching up the mastic a bit before priming with acrylic and adding leveling compound/tile adhesive.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
If the grey stuff is solid then yes just leave it.
yes you could just use thicker adhesive in the low bit, personally I would level it off with SLC first, use an SBR primer over the "mastic"

Apparently grey stuff is not solid throughout the whole room as some has just chipped off!

7WUKg5Y.jpg

UdVWBGP.jpg

Now I'm in a confusing situation of whether to peel is all off or just fill in the gaps and level the black part.

Of course if I peel it all off then I probably don't need to level the black part and can just tile straight onto the concrete after using the SBR primer.

Your post is a bit confusing but essentially it might be best for you to lift all the coverings down to the bare concrete.
And then prime & use SLC to bring the floor to a level, correct height for tiling.

However: the tiles (1970's - 1980's Marley? 12" x 12") might possibly contain asbestos.
There's a length of damaged or rotted timber in the floor - what is it ? Is it coming out?
Or is part of the floor suspended?

The black stuff might be bitumen paint - used for a damp membrane?

Sponsored Links
Your post is a bit confusing but essentially it might be best for you to lift all the coverings down to the bare concrete.
And then prime & use SLC to bring the floor to a level, correct height for tiling.

However: the tiles (1970's - 1980's Marley? 12" x 12") might possibly contain asbestos.
There's a length of damaged or rotted timber in the floor - what is it ? Is it coming out?
Or is part of the floor suspended?

The black stuff might be bitumen paint - used for a damp membrane?

I knocked most of the grey stuff off... the pinky beige vinyl was done about 10 years ago so don't think it contains asbo.

Searched google for those tiles you mentioned and it came up with Bob Marley 12" vinyl. I don't think they're the same but I think I'll buy!

The timber is the door threshold and covering a gas pipe. Not sure whether to remove or just mortar over it.

That red stuff might contain asbestos but it's solid and I ain't removing it (although I did scrape quite a bit with a chisel to get the SLC off).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back