Subflooring issues

Correct. With chipboard screws and a decent drill/driver it isn't necessary to pilot, but you do need to ensure that the screw is pulling the sheet material hard down onto the floorboards below (i.e that the board doesn't "jack-off" the floor boards)

Can you explain this a little bit more how would I know if the screw os pulling the sheet good enough.. I assume jack off you mean like some kind of lift or height difference between the then 2 ends/edges of the ply sheet. And tight refers to the sheet being flat but it's been a very long time since woodwook for me as its not my trade I've forgotten most of it lol.

Sponsored Links
Also someone else said this.

"Correct it’s good practice to do this but look at what your laying over so if for example your going over floorboards that are 100mm do it it 100mm centres so each fixing is on the centre of a board.
As for expansion if your concerned leave 2mm gap at edge"

"Center the board " as in floorboard or the ply sheet guess both obviously i would need to measure my floorboards width to know.? Right? ObviouslyI need to know then width of the floorboards and ply to choose the correct screw as I'm sure hitting a pipe or electric cable isn't much fun lol....I don't think they have done this either just looks they used what ever nails they had and what ever length.

Also I lay the ply sheet going in the same direction as the floorboards or joist?

Cherrs,

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220620_070302_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220620_070302_com.android.chrome.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 50
Correct it’s good practice to do this but look at what your laying over so if for example your going over floorboards that are 100mm do it it 100mm centres so each fixing is on the centre of a board.
Really? The standard is 150mm. Never seen a proper tradesman do anything other than that. And in any case, why the centre of the floorboard? Why not the centres of the joists? (which might make more sense - see below) How do you achieve that with random width boards? (they do exist) That "100mm" is an arbitrary measurement, when the idea is to have overboarding which is fixed down consistently, regardless of what is beneath it
As for expansion if your concerned leave 2mm gap at edge"
That would work well with vinyl or lino, wouldn't it? (it wouldn't) The "expansion gaps" would telegraph through the finished flooring as a series of unsightly lines. The fact is a pre-existing floor in a dry, heated house doesn't expand or contract much, neither does plywood, so there is no need for the gaps in plywood if you fix it down correctly - if you were installing an engineered floor over a concrete sub-floor on a ground floor with an 18mm plywood over board then you'd have a different set of considerations. But you aren't. Sounds like someone is confusing the two, or is thinking about timber frame houses in the more humid states in the USA - but I'm in England, and I as this is a British forum I assumed were, too. And why 2mm? Again, a pretty arbitrary measurement. Why not 6mm or 12mm?
ObviouslyI need to know then width of the floorboards and ply to choose the correct screw as I'm sure hitting a pipe or electric cable isn't much fun lol....
No, you need to know the thickness of the plywood and the original floorboards to calculate the length of screw needed. So, 12mm plywood + 25mm floor boards = 37mm - nearest screw length is 35mm (screw lengths go up in 5mm increments from 20mm to 60mm for most manufacturers), and floor overlays are normally screwed down with 4.0 or 4.5mm screws (and sometimes 5.0mm), so you'd need 4.0 x 35mm screws or 4.5 x 35mm at the rate of 9 x 17 screws, or circa 150 screws, per sheet

If your screws (or for that matter nails) are too long you risk piercing any services running beneath the floor - messy if it's water, potentially lethal if it's electricity or gas. Didn't your other source mention this tiny little problem?
Also I lay the ply sheet going in the same direction as the floorboards or joist?
No, always at right angles to existing flooring, be it plywood or floor boards, and you lay the boards so that any end joints don't end up directly above joints between floorboards. The plywood should also be laid in a "brick pattern" with the ends of the plywood boards not making a straight line, but staggered, like the bricks in a wall. This may require that you have a circular saw to cut the sheets

Could you kindly stop trying to play me off against someone on another forum. I am a carpenter and I do this for a living, so either just accept what I say, or don't. That's your call.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you kindly stop trying to play me off against someone on another forum.
Um wow okay not what I was doing I came back to you for clarification as I'm reading and being told loads of different things wouldn't you think if I came back to you it's because your advise matches most of what I've read.

If you look at that time stamp within the screen shot of that other message that guy said that yesterday at 9. 47am I had never heard of you till 2.49 pm yesterday maybe your still waking up.

Seems you've miss judged why I've asked you it was merely clarification again as others say nah you can go anything below 150mm or up to but never over conflicting advise doesn't help me.

again after reading as much as i could find your advise matches all of what I've read on specific flooring sites not diy guys or forums.

So nothing personal again I've had guys in mine who say there are tradesmen aka sent from via lanlord but didn't know how to fix a shower obviously the guy who did the overboarding I've got now said he was a carpenter.

I've also painters heck they even didn't glue down the lino. When the weight/thickness of the lino and room size called for it I've been there just over a year and all that time its been fixing bad work

Just saying this to show you obviously if they knew what they were doing why is my floor bad why does so much work need fixing....

It would fair to assume he was or said he was a carpenter or say But the work doesn't match that statement. As nails are all rusting measurement are all bad ply sheets just dotted around gaps doesn't meet the skirt heck they didn't even prep the area I seem to got womens hair all over the ply

it's a housing association whith a big fat contract handed out ( lowest biddee wins) it shluld be best quality but thats me.

all the work seems to have been done wrong but they work in the trade... Probably going to **** a lot of people of here with that sentence but its the truth you understand you get cowboys and professionals your advise tallys up to what a professional would say like and the sites/things I've read and you clearly say its a mess off a job which i do too going off what I've learnt but... Obviously I'm not going to say it out loud untill im sure via my own research and asking others like yourself.

Which I have done again the guy who inspected the subflooring said hes a carpenter but his words didn't match what I had read about leveling a floor. I in no way was questing your advise I was asking for it if! You see the difference I merely ask for clarification not saying you are wrong as why would all the floor sites say the same as you...

Yes I'm in the uk thank god and yeah I have said a few times alot of sites are American with American advise which doesn't help when I'm trying to learn somthing new the uk sites /advice is very limited.

Like they just floor straight onto joist with plywood over there they say you go perpendicular with the joist has this offers the most support.? Hence why I asked you

But again we put down floorboards so I just asked what way do I lay plywood over boarding if already have a subfloor aka here in the uk.

This is no merely my own interest as my landlord will hier someone so I have no need to learn anymore as I won't be doing it myself but I want to know as I find the topic interesting and also for future reference.

Also like I said before most advise is tailored on there weather ( America) we have brick houses they mainly have wooden homes I've never seen a wooden home in the uk oh wait a shed so again I agree you might have missed where I said there things before.

( its hard to know if the fourm is uk these days as most just use. Com. Co. Uk and obviously anyone can answer the Question and they'd be going off their countries way etc

Yeah see again the gap seems to be for expansion under the skirting of it was going to be used as a main floor not overboarding again I agree it would show through the lino it would create dips and have nothing to adhere to around the edges and to seal when you go round with silicon.

Again the advise seems very american or maybe for hard wood or tiles not overboarding.

Look at the times also thats just not me I'm just trying to learn about somthing be it the hard way via the web lol

Would I need to let it Acclimate? Doubt this will be done tbh

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220620_093706_com.opera.browser.jpg
    Screenshot_20220620_093706_com.opera.browser.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20220620_070302_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220620_070302_com.android.chrome.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
So again my apologies you seem to have miss interpreted why I asked you.

Cherrs, it's hard as most sites are American and they don't use floorboards and like we do in the uk so makes it harder to learn new stuff when so many people call it different names and do it different ways
I previously mentioned that the advise/online is harder tto understand for a newbie as its geared mainly to American houses.
Wood filler is a bodge and over time it will break-up and be useless.
Well this is what he wants to do fyi the guy also claimed he was a carpenter so please don't take that the wrong way I'm merely saying anyone can say they are this or that the reason I believed you is because all your advise matched what I've read not just because you said you were.

People sprout so much BS/lies these days its nuts when really you would think they'd just be like yeah we messed up and fix it but it's not how people work often even if they haven't done a job correctly there pride and ego gets hurt and then everyone's back gets up but the facts remain that the overboarding wasn't done to a professional standard wouldn't you agree?

But again I never questioned you on this everyone and there mothers is a tradesmen these days like most things you get different standards like tattooist hairdresser food chefs and tradesmen and the more you spend the more your guaranteed a high quality finish.

You would think tho that the standard wouldn't budge but it does as you say your a proper tradesmen but I'd assume all the men that did the work prior would make this cliam also despite their work not matching the words.

Your landlord is a
My housing association is with over £75 million they only concern is that their pension gets bigger be off the backs/blood of the poor you'd think theyd at least give us a decent floor lol never there all ****e tbh.
Yes, because it will break-up over time, It's an absolute bodge job
See 2 days ago I knew nothing about overboarding as I had never had to learn about it no i habe had to only because everyone around me was trying ti feed me some BS lol they really should just do a job correctly what would it be an extra £200 quid it actually cost them more in the long wrong.

It clearly shows the class division in the uk the lower your class the lower the quality of work and materials also how they treat you no matter what papers parliament draws up or what pr the do the reality is the above amd has been for all my life.
That would work well with vinyl or lino, wouldn't it? (it wouldn't) The "expansion gaps" would telegraph through the finished flooring as a series of unsightly lines.
I know it wouldn't thats just common sense it wouldn't have anything to stick to the confusion seems either when laying hard wood or tiles take the skirting off then the gaos hidden or what the Americans do is just have ply as a main walking floor like we do with floorboards again doesn't help when your trying to learn but it's my only source but don't you get mad again lol if any of thats wrong i obviously think your advise is worth listening to as I'm taking time out of my day to ask you. And I alsi appreciate you don't have to answer so thanks.

My lanlords going to do it on the cheap and stick to filling it I assume even tho we both know this is the wrong way to do it at least I know I'm going off facts u know.

Cherrs,

Would I need to let it Acclimate? Doubt this will be done tbh
It's probably overkill to acclimatise plywood, unless it's been out in the rain in the lorry and arrives a bit damp (unlikely). If you fix down at 150mm centres (or 150+ screws a sheet) it really can't move very much, and in any case plywood is very stable as a rule and the core should be very dry, so it is highly unlikely to move. Ideally there should be a couple of days gap between laying the overboarding and applying the finished floor

Laminate flooring on the other hand is only clicked together and it can absorb moisture (and so swell), so it really does need to be got to the same MC as the rest of the building, so you always acclimatise it. Same goes for engineered flooring, parquet, solid wood and the like. With all of these types of flooring the expansion gaps are under the skirtings all round the room. Plywood overboarding shouldn't need this

You could have finished this floor by now, if you had stopped writing such long posts. ;)
Rented haha ( if I had all the tools I would need I would have lol).

Theres just so much conflicting info online so have to double check things especially with me being in the uk but knocks advise is pretty solid from what I've read so I'm basically done just needed to confim with people in the trade and learn a little bit more about it before I committed it to words that cant be unsaid

I just wanted to make sure that me saying it was wrong it really was u know I feel bad af criticising someone else work but if its done bad and needs redoing them just the facts saldy.

Like knock said just to fill it would be a bodged job the wrong nails where used so they all need to come up idea screwed but my landlord wants to glue then screw or just glue I forgot lol

Everyone seem to say screw even to the point of anger lol

the ply is to bad to be reused also it wasn't laid correctly as I have debris mixed in with it loads and loads of grey hair guess the lady had a cat before me.

Gaps at the edges and between sheets with make the lino telegraph show through and leave water traps etc.

Thanks for all the input guys head kinda hurts now lol

Last edited:
It's probably overkill to acclimatise plywood, unless it's been out in the rain in the lorry and arrives a bit damp (unlikely). If you fix down at 150mm centres (or 150+ screws a sheet) it really can't move very much, and in any case plywood is very stable as a rule and the core should be very dry,

Seems I've made myself look like a tit here as online it said you do need to just incase as it's better 2 just incase then have to rip it all back up.

Again I've had to re learn all this as my days of woodwork went away in the 90s lol and I haven't gone that way work wise so have forgotten most of it.

Online they don't pinpoint if this was is needed for subflooring/overboarding it info didn't seem to have any differential.

What would happen of it went bad from no Acclimatising I understand they use a big oven to get it to like 4 or 6% but they advise as soon as it moves it starts to take on again.

The inspector guy did say it didn't but everything I had read said yes so, I think he just humoured me in the end as its getting dropped of a few days prior to the job but this is the same guy who said to fill the bad areas so... Obviously a pitch of salt here and there is needed. After all he's working for the landlords interests not mine.

Ideally there should be a couple of days gap between laying the overboarding and applying the finished floor

They want to do it all in one day and glue it down? Maybe screw on top but its currently 6am so.... I've forgotton lol

We both just want all the outstanding works done as it's been like a year in and out of last lockdown ending April 2021 where they are just fixing bad work which was either done wrong while void or wasn't done at all but should have been.

Hopefully they will get the hoover out this time before they lay both floors and after lol

Cherrs for all the advise. About this massive slope my kitchen subfloor has same floor we've been talking about but how would you fix it?

Attachments

• IMG_20220608_085120.jpg
    IMG_20220608_085120.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20220608_085128.jpg
    IMG_20220608_085128.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Seems I've made myself look like a tit here as online it said you do need to just incase as it's better 2 just incase then have to rip it all back up.
As I said, the core veneers are very dry - any moisture wil be in the outer veneers, and only if it's been transported unsheeted. The delivery guys generally know better than to do that
What would happen of it went bad from no Acclimatising I understand they use a big oven to get it to like 4 or 6% but they advise as soon as it moves it starts to take on again.
Probably nothing. 150 screws a sheet tends to stop any movement dead

They want to do it all in one day and glue it down? Maybe screw on top but its currently 6am so.... I've forgotton lol
I can understand their need to get the job done in short order. It will probably be OK. When I'm doing it I'm doing large areas and/or multiples and we normally have other trades who need access, so a day or two gives the others access as well as allowing our QS to pick up the measure and if there are any issues like creaking floors, knocking pipes, etc it gives us the chance to get them fixed

Hopefully they will get the hoover out this time before they lay both floors and after lol
l'd expect anyone doing flooring to at least sweep the floor before laying plywood or laminate - even if only because it means that you don't end up working in sh1t! Not sweeping up or vacuuming up after you've finished is just bad manners and poor customer relations - after all, as I always say to the guys, how would you like it if someone did that in your house?

As to slopes in floor, it's another topic, so maybe a fresh thread? There are a number of threads on the site already which cover the topic in detail

As I said, the core veneers are very dry - any moisture wil be in the outer veneers, and only if it's been transported unsheeted. The delivery guys generally know better than to do that
Yeah but I don't know as much as you. Do was going off what I had read, Again they don't normally operate is to pick up the material till the morning I think they use Jewsons.

You gotta understand not everyone is going to do work to the high standard as you might which is evident why we are her in the first place as I have no doubt the person who did the floor prior would say he's a carpenter 2. No offence I think you work in a very different world to mine where quality is thought about before cost.

My housing association says we have a contract for all void repair and maintenance work now bid for this multi million pound contractor who can we squeeze to get the most work/materials at the lowest cost all firms compete and keep lowering their overall cost etc.

They could easily afford to pay a few £100.000 more with no effect to services and have better quality repairs and materials but they just don't.

I assume we as your going into someones home/owner or business and they would be like no to paying the invoice if the work was bad they have more quality control also all the void works had to be signed off by the contractor boss and then again by the association so they signed off on the bad works.

You can see with the ply sheet meets the skirt all the stuck in hair to the sheet and skirting its like that all over

All the work I'm having done is because of poor work prior to me moving in it sucks big time as they had months while the property was void to do this without me and my stuff inside.

l'd expect anyone doing flooring to at least sweep the floor before laying plywood or laminate - even if only because it means that you don't end up working in sh1t! Not sweeping up or vacuuming up after you've finished is just bad manners and poor customer relations - after all, as I always say to the guys, how would you like it if someone did that in your house?
Yeah well I have debris and loads ( even have paint splatter on the ply great for flush lino right) again you said they need to came close to edges and were the sheets meet as it will telegraph and show through the lino. You'd think they would know this i think that assumption is fair if your employed in that position.

I would see an optician for an ear infection lol but jokes aside it will be a case of shot the messenger but if the roles were reversed lol peoples double standards are amazing don't you think.

just like say dyed paint splatter and random nails/screws

and loads of hair stuck to the ply and skirting boards this is never done from my experience and I'd always hover as a brush doesn't get it all up.

You should see my paint job hair stuck everywhere to the skirt paint all over the toilet basin etc I digress lol seems the quality of work goes down hill if they know they can get away with doing it half arsed how doesn't prep wall for paint and sand and clean glossed doors or skirting boards.
If i went to say a new fancy build to compare or a homeowner home to compare I bet you the standard of work is 100% better. And the only difference between the 2 is (money) bricks are bricks paint is paint but the standard of work would be totally different.

When you get hair all stuck to it and can see the old colour still coming through even then getting it all over the fixing and fixtures how that was signed off i dunoo and it would off stayed signed off if I hadn't said anything.

As to slopes in floor, it's another topic, so maybe a fresh thread? There are a number of threads on the site already which cover the topic in detail
It's the same flooring as we have been talking about aka the ply I have read that you could use ply at different thickness to try and fix this... What do you think on that?

In the pictures with the radiator just a few to give you reference because they either didn't want to bend down or thought no one would notice they just stopped paint the skirt and behind the radiator lol also gloss os peeling due to not being prep'ed also I think they've used a water based gloss on oil based as its going yellow already the main paint is some cheap water downed while emulsion as i can even see the paint lines lol.

If it was me paying the invoice I wouldn't of not at that standard of work. I don't think many would if it was there home lol and I will be hated because its fhe truth lol Orwell lol but why does there such a massive difference in quality between say soical and some homeowner one a owner has more control over who they choose. Again walls are walls paint is paint it's the quality should be universal.. Not like say del boys 3 wheller compared to a ferrari a wall is a wall you'd think.

There is only one real difference that would effect it and that is...... ( we all know)

as well as how a person' chooses to the job as It was a choice to miss that part by the toilet it was a choice to not cut in correctly or wipe off misakes and thats is.... It was choice not to wash doen walls and doors and sand or clean so hair doesn't get stuck to the paint/surface. But what was the deciding factors that made that person think the choice were either okay or acceptable um?...

Anyway I've wasted enough of your time but thanks for all your help

Attachments

• IMG_20220618_160426.jpg
    IMG_20220618_160426.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20220618_160429.jpg
    IMG_20220618_160429.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20220618_051601.jpg
    IMG_20220618_051601.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20220608_085301.jpg
    IMG_20220608_085301.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20220608_085240.jpg
    IMG_20220608_085240.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20210510_212054.jpg
    IMG_20210510_212054.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20220621_075442.jpg
    IMG_20220621_075442.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20220621_075431.jpg
    IMG_20220621_075431.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20220621_075407.jpg
    IMG_20220621_075407.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20220621_091414.jpg
    IMG_20220621_091414.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
I think some expect we/I should just accept a certain standard/quality of work/life due to say my class/soical status. Aka soical housing funny all the glossy pr says different tho doesn't it.

That somehow puts it on me instead of questing why that person/s behaviour/work quality changed when in my home etc....when compared to say somewhere else.

I think everyone deserves a decent home and should be treated different based on certain facts but that's not true sorry my silly unrealistic ideology coming through there lol

when really the standard should be universal for everyone you/ me but thats just me.

For example only the rich and upper class were deemed worthy of an education.

Women weren't allowed to vote and subliminally told to that politics was a man busy not a women's.

Slavery etc I'm not comparing the weight of each as obviously slavery is nothing when compared to say women's rights but the reasons behind it.

Just because somthing is classed/suggests or Widely accepted as the norm doesn't mean it right.

All the above were quietly accepted by society and people at the time as a norm untll challenged.

Or say send the poor kind up the chimney not much has changed why does it seem the poors or working class whole purpose is 2 sever the rich and be grateful for the opportunity.

All these things were just accept by people why? It right there slap in the middle of society if say I go for a fry up at a greasy spoon I won't be treated any differentially but if I went to a 5 star restaurant I would have my ass licked kiss pressed and sent back to me lol.

Again why does say a painters quality of work change according to his environment?

It like the celebs who say they don't know who there friends are if it's them thry like or their money.... People behavior changes according to the environment/person

Last edited:
You gotta understand not everyone is going to do work to the high standard as you...
Do a job badly and you'll often end up doing it twice - and if construction firms could be bothered to "do the math" they'd see that the cost of call-backs and correcting flawed workmanship is a major drain on resources (and it affects your bottom line at the end of the day). So doing it right in the first place will very often actually cost less in the long term.

I think you work in a very different world to mine where quality is thought about before cost.
It is true that I have spent a good part of my working life in interior fit-out/commercial where standards are relatively high - but amy job still needs to be brought-in on budget and on time (something the construction industry is bad at doing). When I go into a domestic housing job as I do from time to time, be it a new build or work on voids I am often underwhelmed and sometimes appalled by the poor quality of workmanship which is allowed to pass

All the work I'm having done is because of poor work prior to me moving in it sucks big time as they had months while the property was void to do this without me and my stuff inside.
That's just poor management - another thing I rail against in the construction industry. There is no better place to work in social housing that a void. You aren't looking over your shoulder watching your kit, or falling over kids toys/dogs/piles of washing, etc. or being bitten by the dog, and so on and so forth. As a tradesman voids are a far better proposition

...the quality of work goes down hill if they know they can get away with doing it half arsed how doesn't prep wall for paint and sand and clean glossed doors or skirting boards.
If i went to say a new fancy build to compare or a homeowner home to compare I bet you the standard of work is 100% better. And the only difference between the 2 is (money) bricks are bricks paint is paint but the standard of work would be totally different.
Not always - even new builds can be very variable. It often depends on the site manager. I recently did a small bit of work on a new build project (national builder with a multi million turn over) where the SM turned up half an hour after site opened in the morning, frequently left early and on Friday afternoons he wasn't to be seen after midday. He also didn't really understand the various trades he was dealing with and the standards they should be working to. The joiners in particular were taking the p1ss and the kitchen fitters were cutting corners all over the place (the dry liners on the other hand were actually quite conscientious) - but the deco contractor compounded this by putting a pair of what I could only describe as "brush hands" on the job, and they really didn't give a stuff. The result was 3 to 4 times as much snagging as should have been necessary. Yes, the trades were getting it wrong, but the underlying issue was that the overall management of the site was really poor because quality issues should have been picked up and dealt with as they occurred and not 3 or more weeks later

It's the same flooring as we have been talking about aka the ply I have read that you could use ply at different thickness to try and fix this... What do you think on that?
Yes, that works, but you do have to skim the floor with levelling compound as well to get a decent surface to lay carpet, etc onto. Standard practice on commercial jobs these days

Do a job badly and you'll often end up doing it twice - and if construction firms could be bothered to "do the math" they'd see that the cost of call-backs is a major drain on resources. So doing it right in the first place will very often actually cost less in the long term.
Lol be careful there speaking such gospel will both end up like william wallace lol

I've tried to explain this to them time and time again there organising skills and communication is bad like just shoot me instead bad lol. but they've been doing it since the 70s I think so why they have teething problems like this I have no idea.

I'm not sure how there contract works I've think they don't charge for call outs or hourly fees etc more like say they've been given a 5 years contract for all void works maybe thats just labour or labour and parts often they sub contract out 2 but they get lum sum for the lot from the housing.

Like we haven't learnt from privatisation or big contracts that corners are oftern cut when you make it all about money.

It's a horrible practice only inforced by the associations/company's greed heck we do it with everything like fishing rights doubt the fish get paid lol all we do is take but I don't do politics.

By making the crew/boys/fims all compete for the same work and the lowest bid wins so what happens when they undercut themselfs so much just to win a contract the quality of materials/labour goes down. Like zero hour contracts it's a horrible position to put to people that need work to buy food.

And these companies don't care that say a sheet of ply at this grade is better than that grade and will last longer etc it about figures.

And they can afford to pay a decent contract amount annual reports are god sends last year's surplus £1.7 million thats surplus! So, Anuall tune over hit about £7.5 if memory servers or £6.4 They could pay the firm/crews a decent amount but choose the cheapest they differently could afford to use the right nails lol

Like you said this ends up costing someone more who I dunno depends how there contract works who pays for the goods who paid for it before again as they guys are going to be working where ever they are plus if your giving them a **** wage don't expect them to care too much I don't think they get money just for attending. Not in soical housing/domestic maybe commercial property but I don't sit on the board so maybe.

So the Housing association hold all the cards/cash and creates this climate by being overly greedy if you ask me.
When I go into a domestic housing job (be it a new build or work on voids) as I do from time to time I am often appalled by the poor quality of workmanship which is allowed to pass
Yeah like why you couldn't have used galvanised nails instead I understand cost and budget but what £3 more for a box of non rust to ones that will again cost them more now as they need more nails to put it right.

But this has only happened beacuse I've caught it if I had just moved in and said nothing like the vinyl wasn't even glued down I didn't even have a screwed down toilet lol if I hadn't of said anything they'll just pretended it was fine/normal it is normal behaviour of soical evey place I've moved to they didn't inspect prior poor voids work etc.

Last place still had rubbish in garden and loft loads of void work needs again different housing association same issues do you see the theme

Place prior I had damp for 5 years nothing ever done till a storm ripped of the electric cable and half the roof it them they decided to fix the gutters and missing tiles I went in the loft once to have a look they tied to fill massive gaps between the beams with foam lol I could still see right through heck they even cut corners again with a new policy.

Re chargeball works when its deemed your fault not wear and tear it just happend due to the wood being spilt but they blamed him.

So my neighbours door came off wood had split on the hinges and foor frame it really needed a new door frame as the holes where two gone and matches and splints had been used before and weren't holding.

Anyway very cheap honeycomb door they wanted £300 lol looked in wicks £24 for the door maybe £50 to hang it lol its a sad joke they don't even pay by the hour as its contract work and the guy who would have cane maybe gets £15 an hour you do the maths guy refused to pay.. A rib off is a rib off especially went it went his fault not like he was a 14 year old slamming doors si left him in the cold all winter.

Again apparently toilets seats are now the renters responsibility to replace little things like that again trying to squeeze more blood form a stone and so unfair on just principle as its just pure greed. soical is just one step above homless so how much money do you think people have light bulbs etc yeah fine doors nah thats your door not mine lol as long as it is normal wear and you haven't put your fist through it u know.

So see this is where I become the enemy of the sate lol because I spoke up instead of just accepting like most do and I have/did for years.

Pervious place I had same issues cost me a grand to put things right why should I pay to fix up your property do I get the cost back when you sell it lol you should just maintain it to a decent standard.

They got these things called decorative vouchers it's a housing association cheap ass waybof getting out of painting the property for the next new tenants as its cheaper you get like £200 or less for the whole flat you can't do a whole flat on that.

Again in private they re paint they have this time with my current association which if it was done professionally would be amazing often you don't get carpets or any flooring either.

You try asking say a new single mum to find £1000 for a decent paint job or carpet somthing you do get in private rented so why not soical?

Obviously the crew hate me because I've called them out on bad work it's not like its solely cosmetic like oh I don't like that shade of red its stuff that can only be done 2 ways wrong or right.

When my real aim is the Housing association for creating the environment in the first place again they have to sign off on it right?

And as mostly everyone I've ever known how live in soical just accepted/accept it because its not worth they fight and nothing will change even now work will get fixed but the practice will continue.

That's just poor management - another thing I rail against in the construction industry
Yeah better dairy keeping skills always helps
Yes, that works, but you do have to skim the floor with levelling compound as well to get a decent surface to lay carpet, etc
Can i skim over ply or just floorboards I was told you couldn't use self levelling compound??

Last edited:
Can i skim over ply or just floorboards I was told you couldn't use self levelling compound??
I've always been told (by the flooring guys) that it isn't advisable to skim directly over floor boards - too many joints which can potentially move. They generally require a layer of plywood to go down first (on 150mm screw centres...) over which they apply the levelling compound

Isn't there a guy in London who started a campaign to make housing associations more responsive to their tennants? And to improve the quality of workmanship?

It's a long time since I did any council/HA work (in the aftermath of the 2007/08 crash, as it happens). One council I worked for insisted on everyone working for them having a gold card (level 3 NVQ). TBH I found the guys there to be the laziest, most slapdash people you could find, yet they never seem to get sacked. We actually had an agency joiner working for us a couple of years back who'd managed. somehow, to get sacked from his cards in job at an HA. On a good day (and he didn't have many of those) he was just about useless - in fact our 2nd year apprentice was better than him. But that's another story.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back