10 Jul 2015
Reaction score
United Kingdom
My drains were leaking and have caused subsidence. The drains were repaired back in Spring. I have a building firm coming next month to put in bars to knit the cracked brickwork between the bathroom window and kitchen window together (it is a long,narrow crack) and to put in a new kitchen window and new sill on the bathroom window.
My problem is-there is also a short crack between the top of the house and the bathroom window and I wondering if I should ask them to put a bar in there as well? It wasn't mentioned when they came and I don't want to carry on worrying about it afterwards. I could try and post photos here.
Sponsored Links
A few months in summer is not enough time for the ground to stabilise and the cracks close back up.

Crack repair is also not a case of putting a bar in here and there. It needs to be designed and thought of.
I was told that three months would be long enough. (The drains were repaired in March.) The structural engineer who came last summer put a diagram in his report about how the work was to be done and which bars were to be used. However, the diagram only showed the large crack. He did mention the 'minor' crack above the bathroom window in his report but didn't say how to deal with it.
Sponsored Links
I phoned the structural engineer and he said that the minor crack should be repaired in the same way as the long one. I emailed the builders and said this and also asked what they would be doing about the crack next to the window. The secretary is passing on the detail to the builders.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local