Successful Retrospective Planning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone successfully received Retrospective Planning? We built a summerhouse within 1m of neighbours boundary (rookie error) this is outwith the 2.5m limit - our son is 6foot 9! Did not know of regulations. Within a year of it being built and despite being told we can access garden to paint, our neighbour has complained/reported us. We are in process of doing a pre application check but wondered if there any success stories. No view blocked, no overlooking their garden & no shadow caused.

Sponsored Links
I am sorry to hear that -the application should be considered with the same criteria as though you were applying prior to construction.

and the outcome rather depends on how the structure that is built, fits with the your local planning framework.
planners listen to neighbour complaints but their decision is not based on the complaint.

You could post a sketch or picture of what has been built and ask for comments -there are architects on here who may give their opinion of your chances of success, based on their experience.

Of course some are successful, it will be decide on it's own merits as per any other planning application. Why on earth are your bothering with a per-application check when it's already built?

Because it’s free and recommend way forward by Council. Retrospective is £202. Our other suggested remedy is to move the whole structure by 1m all round. This is not a pop up summerhouse & thinking that moving will cost £1000’s in labour. Saving every penny incase it’s required.

I’m just looking for a glimmer of hope ‍♀️

Sponsored Links
Because it’s free and recommend way forward by Council. Retrospective is £202. Our other suggested remedy is to move the whole structure by 1m all round. This is not a pop up summerhouse & thinking that moving will cost £1000’s in labour. Saving every penny incase it’s required.

But if your pre-app provides you with any negative feedback your inevitable application will already be on the back foot.

I’m really naive with this….. sorry. If pre app negative would that not mean an actual application would be the same? Peak of roof is approx 30cm above 2.5m.

A planning application is a planning application whether it's put in before or after the thing is built, and there is no difference in the way it is assessed.

Only you will know if the neighbour has a justifiable complaint or is just being arsey. If the latter, I would suggest that they might want to withdraw their complaint, because your plan B is the 6-8m fast growing bamboo screen. Then they will have something to complain about, and nothing they can do...

Sorry don’t know how to reply direct but Mr Rusty definitely the latter - he played back audio cctv footage to me after my son had people in said summer house at NY! & during conversation commented that my son “doesn’t even take our wheelie bin in” how that’s anything to do with him I’m not sure.

Its in hands of enforcement now unfortunately.

I’m really naive with this….. sorry. If pre app negative would that not mean an actual application would be the same? Peak of roof is approx 30cm above 2.5m.

Pre app advice can be rather non committal….so you might not be better off as you won’t get a definitive answer.

300mm over isnt much.

where have you measured the height from? - have you taken it from the highest point of natural ground level?

It’s slightly less from natural ground as ground at fence of boundary slightly higher hence the decking but this was my measurements for enforcement I’ll do accurate ones for application. Enforcement said 2/3cms over they’d process. The recommendation is to move within the 1m which would negate need for planning.

Attachments

• F055DAE3-7C83-4BD0-BCA5-BB7FFC99EF72.jpeg
    F055DAE3-7C83-4BD0-BCA5-BB7FFC99EF72.jpeg
    329.2 KB · Views: 153

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back