Sudden leak in mdpe/push fit central heating system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 3 years ago I moved some of the radiators in my house. In order to do this I cut the existing copper pipes & ran new pipes to the new locations using mdpe pipe and push-fit fittings (making sure all the copper remained correctly earthed, of course). This has all worked perfectly since then (and I mean perfectly -- I had a new combi boiler installed in April, and hadn't had to repressurize the system between then and a few days ago), but suddenly the day before yesterday I seem to have developed a fairly serious leak in one of the pipes I worked on. Does anyone have any idea what might have caused this, or what I can do to make sure this doesn't happen again in future?

Sponsored Links
What sort of a leak?

At a fitting or the pipe itself somewhere along its length.

Are you sure it's mdpe pipe? Does the pipe you used have pressure and temperature ratings printed along it?

a picture of a fitting might help identity stuff as well, if you don't know the make.

Note MDPE is the blue stuff used for water mains, outside supplies etc. the plastic pipes used for CH are different

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back