Suitable Timber for External Doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to have a punt at making an external door. I think I have got the design and layout sorted. I've calculated dimensions etc however I am stuck on what timber to use.

Ideally I would have liked to use white oak however the cost involved concerns me as this is my first attempt then at the price quoted then I dont want to 'balls it up'.

I spoke to the local timber yard and they recommended Sapele or Idigbo however the write-up on Sapele appears to indicate that it doesnt machine very well when using planes, routers etc (which is common in myand the info on Ibigbo is minimal but it is also a dark would like Sapele and as I am painting this (or getting it sprayed if I can find someone) then I would prefer to use a light coloured wood.

So here is my question - what would should I use which is hardwood and stable but also cost effective and not the end of the world (or £200) if I make a mistake?

I had thought about having a test run using cheap softwood / pine but even then if it goes well then I have a door which I dont necessarily have a use for.

TIA

Sponsored Links
Appreciate the reply and the suggestions. I have fed these back to the timber merchant to see if they can compare pricing.

Cheers

Im not sure whether you are planing the timber to size or not.

You need flat timber for the stiles, if you start with bowed or twisted stiles you will struggle to end up with a usable door.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the pointer.

It's my plan to get the timber from a merchant that can square and plane it for me.

Thanks for the pointer.

It's my plan to get the timber from a merchant that can square and plane it for me.

I dont have much faith in timber merchants producing flat timber, its not generally their area of expertise and doors stiles are one of the most critical components kn joinery.

You might do best seeking out a small local joinery shop and see if they could supply some machined timber.

Tip: a well laid out cutting list will encourage them!

Laid out something like this:

100 x 44
2 @ 2100
1 @ 900

150 x 44
1 @ 900

180 x 44
1 @ 900

So, section first, then list the lengths for that section -make lengths at least 100mm overlength and round up.

In our local area there are a few well respected timber merchants recommended by trade and the more common DIY'er. I have bought timber from them before and they seem very helpful

And make sure the timber is carefully selected for the job - quarter-sawn (or more expensive rift sawn) for doorstiles and rails to prevent them twisting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back