Summer House Building Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I hope you can help as I'm needing some advice. I'm planning on building a summer house which will be 3.2m x 6m out of timber. It will be on a new concrete base right up on the boundary. the height will be under 2.5m.

The advice I need is:
- Can this be achieved with no building regs
- Can I build this size next to the boundary.
- If not what size can I build without any hassle from neighbours?

The property has had an asbestos Garage which was removed 2 weeks ago. We have a certificate confirming this. With the garage being there at the property for 60 years would this go in our favour of removing and replacing it with a summer house with the same dimensions.

Attachments

• 20210204_084244.jpg
    20210204_084244.jpg
    362.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 20210131_143831.jpg
    20210131_143831.jpg
    564.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG-20210204-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20210204-WA0011.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 89
Sponsored Links
Building within 2m of a boundary and under 2.5m in height, it would be considered PD so no issues from neighbours in ‘that’ respect.

Building within 1m of a boundary, between 15-30sq.m and using timber, you’ll require BR’s. Keeping the internal floor area under 15sq.m will exempt you from BR’s.

Thanks
This is what I think will need to happen but I have a query as to the existing garage as to if this may help the cause to no building regs required.
As the existing garage was asbestos with electricity and over 15sq meter you could say I am replacing like for like???
I'm asking the question as I feel there is ground for like for like with no issues. The deeds of the property also show a garage.

It’s irrelevant. You’ll be building a new structure so it would need to be assessed against the current Planning/BR’s.

Sponsored Links
Once a building is removed completely, you don't get any rights to put something back. Whatever is put back is treated as a completely new building and must conform to any current restrictions and criteria.

You can clad a timber frame with suitable fire resisting boards or materials to make it compliant with the requirement not to need building regulations.

If your property has permitted development rights and you keep to the size criteria, then you wont need planning permission.

You can clad a timber frame with suitable fire resisting boards or materials to make it compliant with the requirement not to need building regulations.
That may very well be accepted by some local authorities as "substantially non combustible" however a timber framed building regardless of the type of cladding has never been accepted as being exempt by any of the local authorities I have worked at or with.
OP you will need to confirm your particular local authority.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back