Building outbuilding / summer house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Afternoon All

In the summer we are planning on tearing down the current structures that we have at the end of our garden (small shed and neighbouring animal enclosure) and replacing with a new larger summerhouse which will house a treadmill, a desk and some seating.

I have a few questions that I would welcome any input on.

As the building is within 2m of property boundary then I appreciate it cannot exceed 2.5m in height however the current buildings are on a raised concrete platform so does that plinth which is approximately 30cm included in the 2.5m height restriction or can I measure the total height of the building from the top of the plinth?

Also under planning permission, can anyone detail what constitutes a 'separate, self contained, living accommodation and must not have a microwave antenna'? Does this mean that it cannot have running water and drainage?

Plans are yet to be drawn up until we are certain that designs will not fall foul of the above limitations

many thanks

Ian

Sponsored Links
Height is from the highest ground adjacent to the building so the plinth wouldn't count. That't make it a bit tricky only leaving you 2.2m to play with.

Not sure if there is an official definition of 'separate, self contained, living accommodation' but you can certainly have running water and drainage. If you have a fitted kitchen, shower room and bed you might be on shaky ground. Any drainage will need building regs, as would electrics.

Thanks nickjb

I certainly wont be doing any electrics and we have a fully qualified chap in mind who did an en-suite for us at the end of last year!

We are considering including heating in the summerhouse in the form of a small wood burner which will make it usable throughout the year.

As you say 2.2m will be a limitation then as being 1.8m tall then when on the treadmill will I have enough head clearance?!?

Any reason to think you wouldn't getting planning for a taller building? You'll get a more usable building and it might make the roof a bit easier.

Sponsored Links
Just lack of confidence really as never applied for the like.

Also not sure how it would impact cost as I imagine would need proper plans etc drawing up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back