Outbuilding height question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to build a workshop in my garden around 4x5m.
As I understand it i am able to build this with a maximum peak roof height of 4m if it is sited more than 2m from the nearest boundary, or 2.5m if within 2m.

I think i will need to place it with 2m, but would like to have pitched roof which would end up at around 3-3.5m - this is mainly for looks as i dont want a flat roof.

my question is this: as this is specifically not allowed within PD, would applying for PP be a waste of time?

i have spoken to neighbours yet, but i do not anticpate any problems as my house is the only one without a garage/workshop, and everyone elses is over 2.5 and up to the boundary.

My other questions is; how worried do councils tend to get over outbuilding height? should i just get on and build it!?

many thanks
james

Sponsored Links
As per tonys post, though I would add that this is gonna be pretty low down on the LA's radar I would eat my leotard if it ever went further than some snotty letters.

As per tonys post, though I would add that this is gonna be pretty low down on the LA's radar I would eat my leotard if it ever went further than some snotty letters.

well that was my thoughts as well - i suppose if anything ever does become a big problem modifying the roof is not the end of the world.

My only concern is that i am planning a diy extension at some point that will mean someone from BC walking my past my new workshop. i suppose i have to make sure i dont take the p*ss with the height.

Sponsored Links
Rest assured, in true civil service tradition, though they may share the same office BC do not talk to planning! ;) :p

To make extra sure, you could consider employing a private building inspector!

Agree,

By the book you should apply for planning permission and hopefully you will get it based on its sympathetic location and that others are similar heights.

It is unlikely that your neighbours actually know the PD limits unless they have looked into a similar project themselves and also they'd have to feel it was affecting or just have it in for you for them to bother contacting the council.

I had a similar situation when I lived in a ground floor flat with a garden, there is no PD for flats but everyone had a shed in the garden so I just got on and built it. My main concern is always when selling a property as this is when any paperwork can be flagged up as missing and potentially affect a sale. I'm glad to say that no one even batted an eyelid regarding the shed. But worst case, take the shed down when you move.

Even if you were grassed up you can apply retrospectively (a perfectly lawful procedure) and if refused it would have to take a very confident Local Authority enforcement and legal department to think that enforcement action was worth pursuing and as you say, worse case just redesign the roof.

The Local Authority have bigger fish to fry and are currently very under-resourced. I mentioned to someone today that his satellite dish in theory required planning permission as his PD had been withheld but that if we all abided by these rules the world would grind to a halt buried in paperwork - a little common sense should prevail - I know this became extinct at the end of last century - but basically don't loose any sleep over it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back