Summer project 2010

Sponsored Links
I have 3 monkeys, a PC for each one :D

I knew the electricity wires were all in the wrong place and fully intend on removing them if I ever move out, or if I take it all down and do something else with the space

Thanks for the link will give that a full read

Sponsored Links
I knew the electricity wires were all in the wrong place and fully intend on removing them if I ever move out, or if I take it all down and do something else with the space

So if you knew, why did you do it the wrong way?

So if you knew, why did you do it the wrong way?

My boys were sleeping in our bedroom so will spare u the shenanigans, so I just got it finished as best I could and at that point I felt soo far from the end of the project

If anyone is any good on MS paint could you please let me know what route the electric wire should have gone, am I right in saying the coaxial for virgin box and Ethernet can be anywhere or do they fall into a safe zone too?

Why not read the linked article above? It tells you exactly where the cables should've been.

And I'm not sure on ELV cables, however it makes little sense to run them outside of the safe zones anyway.

I agree it would make sense to run all cables together in their correct path

It was more of a question regarding the TV and TFT's as opose to the double 4 ways I put up on the wall as looking at the diagram of the safe zones I could work them out for myself

The beauty of these forums is people like yourself willing to share knowledge

Thanks

Why not read the linked article above? It tells you exactly where the cables should've been.

And I'm not sure on ELV cables, however it makes little sense to run them outside of the safe zones anyway.

Ethernet and cable TV don't fall under BS7671, so can be run basically wherever you like as there is no safety implication. But as you say, it makes little sense to run these out of safe zones; if nothing else because you don't want to accidentally drill through one and have to dig the cable out and start again!

EFCLee: The correct route would have been :

a) go vertically up into the loft/ceiling space above, then down again, OR
b) go vertically down under the floor, then up again.

Additionally, the flex running to your 4-way strips isn't designed to be used for fixed wiring, personally I would have replaced the single 13A socket with a 13A switched FCU, then run the spur to a suitably-rated FCU with flex outlet behind each screen, and some plug sockets below the counter top for the other gubbins.

I love the cupboard doors: is that MDF with gloss paint, or is it some special coating?

Ethernet and cable TV don't fall under BS7671, so can be run basically wherever you like as there is no safety implication. But as you say, it makes little sense to run these out of safe zones; if nothing else because you don't want to accidentally drill through one and have to dig the cable out and start again!

EFCLee: The correct route would have been :

a) go vertically up into the loft/ceiling space above, then down again, OR
b) go vertically down under the floor, then up again.

Additionally, the flex running to your 4-way strips isn't designed to be used for fixed wiring, personally I would have replaced the single 13A socket with a 13A switched FCU, then run the spur to a suitably-rated FCU with flex outlet behind each screen, and some plug sockets below the counter top for the other gubbins.

I love the cupboard doors: is that MDF with gloss paint, or is it some special coating?

Thanks for your help, but am afraid I only grasp the first part, which was replacing the single socket in the left side alcove with a FCU, googled it and its a switch with a fuse, I prefered the power source to be non interuptable seeing as its computers attached because my kids are still so young and god knows what they get up to, hence the locks on the right side cupboard doors

It would make me understand everything if you used one of my pics on paint showing were electricity for my TV and TFT's should go in the wall

and the them doors are 3/4" MDF undercoated with white matt emulsion several times then 1 coat of white gloss, 3/4" MDF might sound too thick but when I was buying the boards the thinner ones were held up on a wall with arms and in-between each arm it was severely bowed, ideally it should have been plywood which is much thinner and much stronger but the cost difference surely would be big, 8 foot by 4 foot boards cost £17 x 3 = £51

What sort of cable have you used to spur from the single socket and where does it run to or terminate as i cant quite make out from the pics if you have installed a socket in the AV cupboard or not?

The electricity wire that goes from the left single socket is only buried in the wall on the left hand side, it is a thick black cable which has 2 sockets at the end, this was a 5M double extension until I cut the plug off!! so at other end each plug has a 4way attached

Once this black wire enters the shelf it comes out the other side and just hangs down the back of the wardrobe behind the PC's

Ahh that’s kinda what I thought, you'll need to replace that socket with an un-switched FCU:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...G_Index/Spurs_13_Amp_Un_Switched_3/index.html

and feed that extension from the load side, you'll need to fit the same rating fuse that was in the plug you chopped off, that could be a 5, 10 or 13amp fuse.

As it stands that cable isn’t suitably rated to be connected directly to a socket circuit (likely to be protected by a 16/20/32amp fuse/mcb) and is a potential fire risk, especially with all that kit you have hanging off the end of it. Using an un-switched FCU gets around the issue you have with the kids turning the power off by accident.

Please do this ASAP, as I said it’s a potential fire risk and being in a kids bedroom makes it all the more important that it’s made safe. Until then power off all of the equipment you don’t need or better still unplug the lot until it’s done.

Also noticed from one of your other posts you have done a similar install in your living room, if you have connected any extension leads directly to the socket circuit elsewhere in your house these will need to be sorted too.

Regards
Dan

Hi dannyboi2003

This does sound like a big problem then if its a fire risk, but I dont fully understand what you say I need to do to fix this

Do I need to rip out the black extension cable from the wall and key/mou shelf and replace it with something stronger

I would very much appreciate it if you could tell me in steps what I need to do, the double 4 ways need to be coming from the floor upwards laminate is down and finishes at the doorway so the whole room would need lifting up

Oh and the TV is a kettle lead which I extended using another kettle lead

aswell as that my fish tank has a double socket under it, I chased out the wall and connected a 4 way to it, this 4 way now sits behind the tank for the light and filter, am guessing now that this is also wrong!! oops

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back