Summers house and ☔

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So last year I purchased a log cabin/summerhouse. We had some heavy rain last night and it drives into corners and I can see this never ever bring sorted.

I think it was badly built in first place. The interlocking sections in corners have slight gaps where water is getting in, I'm sick of it. It cost over 6k.

My question is can you clad an existing summerhouse?

UPDATE: Images added, The cabin pic in generic pic, but its same as mine.

y4m4bJhPUGWprPmdANCaDYFWQ2mReet7o9f34GMIvJIlrsCpQHv7Sq8dTXpFlBDCVFLJENyQiZ80RSyobdnS-r2joylVOjydyQLZ8vxU7GhLqP8NFvVmoDiv6tFiSGFlfcCS-uFuvlJvy_rvwcPe1pxtE6v3eMv0FNJd5IxmfSnPCWehi2t3pS50mtqHHvQu14l06mfsiLnfW2alAY5UHSCWw

y4mE45_I0nNgzEcWyiHa5QFJxqHY9OMwadGATepQFcWCIaK4Zf0O8rFRAr2hGxPRWHbQSEvruu1-HRU11NPsoCGM-pjg7_6lr_vHsu9FLEsx3skhHpDdDKtVtM27MdYUoZiXpn3_ro7qX8u7mKcHz7__IedbW_m03y10oNTTMPOIsQ7JmGQlMRubAiudIucAZjKheUwn5wYAgbx_-nwG6KWiw

y4m59A-02jtchxPzTEDPMvOzNMahpc91xgiAmqXuKNnw6hibfObLWGrL_N339JzVGe6MlgZh_c83Axh55lW7zcZwsLEg3hrj-zKAtjboiB375XMGZLXSwvQtHKDq1y8_BU75x-FB_uJ3a6qVnJT8ShLbnBrqilJX5gGS0H1uHiD1XVvK2CEMz4rqnRZGPf0AqNlvdq9eMVd_pkLUt0EJUMGNA

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
snappyfish, good evening.

Could be that the very, very dry hot summer we have had has allowed the timber to shrink a bit?

Any chance of some images, internal and external? may be that could allow other ideas to pop up?

Ken.

I've stayed in American log cabins. More modern ones have the timbers grooved so a loose tongue can be used to brace them together and reduce draughts and wildlife penetration. older ones have clay or lime pushed into the joints. It comes loose and falls out depending on the weather, and harbours wildlife.

I wasn't aware of those more modern products.

Sponsored Links
snappyfish, good evening.

Could be that the very, very dry hot summer we have had has allowed the timber to shrink a bit?

Any chance of some images, internal and external? may be that could allow other ideas to pop up?

Ken.

Updated posts with cabin pic (standard from the supplier) and pics of inside showing leaks and outside corners.

0k my thoughts are the water is finding its way through because the treatment doesnt stop wicking as a waxy treatment might
are the half lap right angle joints a flat surface allowing penetration iff not tight ?

ok so regardless of why rain comes in, it could be interlocking sections are a poor fit, bad build or whatever.

Can I clad this summerhouse easily around the corners? Can I cut the corners down, so they do not stick out?

that would give you a decent overlap
you want at least 12mm thick preferably a bit more to allow pining at 90 degrees and you will be restricted in how arrow you can get without having you cut full lengths or rework edges

that would give you a decent overlap
you want at least 12mm thick preferably a bit more to allow pining at 90 degrees and you will be restricted in how arrow you can get without having you cut full lengths or rework edges

So just a little worried about cutting corner overlaps down. Will my cabin take the weight on extra cladding. hmm?

i personally would try some treatment that will repell the water first like ducksback on the outside but it colours like a paint and you dont get any wood through it
dont think you can remove the corner timbers without replacing with nails or screws as the horns will lock the structure together

Log cabins are an inherently flawed design for the UKs damp environment and high rainfall.

Timber structures that trap water are doomed to leak and rot.

The best construction for timber construction is to build a frame, cover with breathable membrane, fit vertical timber battens, fit horizontal cladding.

The reason that works, is because the cladding acts as a weather protection, if it leaks it has a cavity behind so water can run out, also the cavity allows the cladding to breath and avoid water trapping.

I would either covers corners with tyvek housewrap, then use some tile battens, then clad vertically. Or I would cover whole structure with tyvek and clad with featheredge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back