Summers house and ☔

I have to agree with notch and while you wont like this, you could have built a fully insulated cabin for that budget, that would have been pretty close to building control regulations. A clear bead of silicon along all the joints might help the water run out. As would potentially a couple of coats of woods stain/outdoor wood paint. paint before you seal if you are planning both.

Also your cabin might not comply with planning regs. It looks like it might be over 2.5m high and 15m2 floor area and too close to your boundary not to be made from non-combustable material.

Sponsored Links
I have to agree with notch and while you wont like this, you could have built a fully insulated cabin for that budget, that would have been pretty close to building control regulations. A clear bead of silicon along all the joints might help the water run out. As would potentially a couple of coats of woods stain/outdoor wood paint. paint before you seal if you are planning both.

Also your cabin might not comply with planning regs. It looks like it might be over 2.5m high and 15m2 floor area and too close to your boundary not to be made from non-combustable material.

Thanks, the pic of whole cabin is not actually mine, that's the demo site pic. Although I think I have gone and overlooked building regs. None of which were mentioned by builders who laid concrete slab or sellers of the cabin... How serious is my error?

Thanks, the pic of whole cabin is not actually mine, that's the demo site pic. Although I think I have gone and overlooked building regs. None of which were mentioned by builders who laid concrete slab or sellers of the cabin... How serious is my error?

Is the cabin more than 1 metre from any boundary?

If its 2M from your boundary its probably fine, if its within 1M the it must be under 2.5M high, and have an internal floor area under 15m2

Sponsored Links
Is the cabin more than 1 metre from any boundary?

No

If its 2M from your boundary its probably fine, if its within 1M the it must be under 2.5M high, and have an internal floor area under 15m2

It's probably 70mm over 2.5M due to me adding Celotex on existing roof and putting the whole cabin on 65mm blocks off the concrete slab to allow airflow.

Internal floor area is probably 17m2

Last edited:
You're f***ed then. hopefully you're neighbours wont complain, otherwise you'll need to apply some very expensive paint to make it non-combustable or add some internal insulation to the walls to reduce the floor area down to 15m2.

As it stands within 1M from boundary - it needs planning and since its over 2.5M and made of wood and over 15m2 it needs building control - which it wont get.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings

did you measure from the highest natural point it covers or adjacent to if its a sloping area you measure from the highest natural point

between 15-30 sq metres you need building regs if nearer to boundary by 1 metre -the 1 metre is the distance set to act as a fire break at the boundary.

over 30 sq metre -it needs building regs anyway.

Since you havent done it, I would suggest just keeping quiet. the log cabin has been there a while, nobody has mentioned it, so its most unlikely itll ever get mentioned. i doubt most people would know anyway.

Planning issue on height again is only issue if anybody spots it. 2.5m is height from highest adjacent ground level.

i though it said somthing like "between 15 and 30 you may need to comply with building regs "??
suppose its the substancialy non combustible bit

"If the floor area of the building is between 15m2 and 30m2, you will not normally be required to apply for building regulations approval providing that the building contains NO sleeping accommodation and is either at least one metre from any boundary or it is constructed of substantially non-combustible materials."

https://interactive.planningportal.co.uk/detached-house/outside/sheds/building-regulations

ok, someone else I've just spoken to on web has suggested fibre cement board? non-combustible building material? Sounds like that might work and be good getting around corners where they interlock and stick out 100mm

i would'nt worry about the height if no one cares around you the council wont know:D
just keep em sweet

as for fibre board the regs say somthing like substancially non combustible now weither a fire break approach will satisfy i dont know but again you need somone to report for any action to happen

i would'nt worry about the height if no one cares around you the council wont know:D
just keep em sweet

as for fibre board the regs say somthing like substancially non combustible now weither a fire break approach will satisfy i dont know but again you need somone to report for any action to happen

yes, I was thinking more to keep the damn British weather out. I wouldn't of worried if it was just a big shed, but I spend s fortune on laminate flooring, insulation roof and floor with Celotex, the last thing I want it damp corners leaking down onto sonic gold laminate underlay and original wooden floor.

it would frustrate the hell out off me as i would expect it to be waterproof if assemble and treated as per instructions
but as already said its not designed correctly as water doesnt drip off the bottom off the timbers but gets drawn in to the gap
i personally would look at perhaps breathable membrane topped with batons for air gap then 5" txg shiplap [coverage about 109mm]
i would look at batons the same size as the overhanging timbers at the corner

it would frustrate the hell out off me as i would expect it to be waterproof if assemble and treated as per instructions
but as already said its not designed correctly as water doesnt drip off the bottom off the timbers but gets drawn in to the gap
i personally would look at perhaps breathable membrane topped with batons for air gap then 5" txg shiplap [coverage about 109mm]
i would look at batons the same size as the overhanging timbers at the corner

Yes, looking at cladding options, its only 44mm timbers currently and worrying about sections the crossover on corners do I cut them back or not? What size screws into battens etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back