Sup. bonding, need to be in safe zones or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When its time to supp. bond the bathroom, not sure whether I'll be able to run it in the safe zones (might be able to sneak it into a corner one at a push), but I'm not actually sure its a requirement to run it in a safe zone, with protection, or 50mm deep.

Anyone got any knowledge one way or other?

Thanks

P.S. Anyone able to tell me the logic behind having to bond a lighting circuit thats going to supply selv fixtures in a bathroom just because there is class 2 pullcord in zone 3?...

P.P.S. Used 25mm PVC conduit in the end for the other shower, went to the orange and black shed and tested 10mm twin+e for size in a piece, plenty of room, slides in like *ahem* and well under 45% fill factor

P.P.P.S I've got a place on the 2330 at newark from sept :)

Sponsored Links
coloumb said:
Some guidance on pg 73 of gn 5 for your first q.

I don't have that in my library yet :( , so if you could paraphrase it here, I'd be greatful

I should have access to a scanner tomorrow. Watch this space.

Sponsored Links
Adam_151 said:
When its time to supp. bond the bathroom, not sure whether I'll be able to run it in the safe zones (might be able to sneak it into a corner one at a push), but I'm not actually sure its a requirement to run it in a safe zone, with protection, or 50mm deep.
Yes run it either in a safe zone or outside the room through airing cupboard etc if you have one.

P.S. Anyone able to tell me the logic behind having to bond a lighting circuit thats going to supply selv fixtures in a bathroom just because there is class 2 pullcord in zone 3?...
I think the logic behind it is if the pullcord was replaced with one with a metal body it needs to be bonded.

I've got a place on the 2330 at newark from sept :)
Good luck and well done, hope you enjoy it ;)

As promised...

<sorry taken them out>

Can you give me a shout when you have them 'cos I don't think the IEE are gonna be to wild about my breach of copy right.

Cheers

Not actually sure that they answer my question, there is a paragraph that says they should be routed to avoid damage, but it doesn't actually say they should be in safe zones, so I guess it is implying that they need not be in safe zones, but I'm trying to find something more concrete than that

It makes reference to 413-02-27 , 547-03 and 413-02-28 , if someone could look these up and give me the rough outline of these please, because my book buying has only got as far as the OSG so far :oops:

Adam, sorry have just re-read your post and thought you needed to route the equipotential bonding rather than the supplementary bonding. To be honest with you I would work on the principle that they (both of them) do need to be routed in the "safe zones". I have read all of that chapter beyond the parts I scanned but it doesn't really add anything of any more value.

I once asked if extra low voltage cables where exempt from the zones and was told "no", and that's including phone cables.

I think it's one of those "best practice" things, unless anyone has a better answer.

I have sent you some info to your email address in your profile Adam, hope it sheds some light on the subject.

Spark123 said:
I have sent you some info to your email address in your profile Adam, hope it sheds some light on the subject.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back