Supplementary bonding. Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m having a new extension built on the side of the house and in this will be my new bathroom and a down stairs toilet. Now can someone point me in the right direction with regards to bonding?
In the main bathroom I’m under the impression the pipes to the bath, sink and the radiator need bonding back to the main fuse board via a 10mm continuous cable is this right and is there anything else I need to do?
Secondly the downstairs toilet in the new extension do I need any bonding on any of the pipes and if so do I use the same cable doing the bathroom?
Thirdly and last I’m fitting an en-suite in the old part of the house does the sink and toilet need the bonding even though its connected to the pipe work being bonded in the new bathroom?
All the pipework is being solder connected.
Hope this makes sense any pointers would be great.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
...In the main bathroom I’m under the impression the pipes to the bath, sink and the radiator need bonding back to the main fuse board via a 10mm continuous cable is this right...
no, that isn't right. The 10mm G&Y to MET is required for metallic services entering your house from outide - usually gas and water pipes, sometimes oil or air con pipes.

In a room with a bath or shower, you need to bond all metallic services entering the bathroom (usually hot and cold water; radiator flow and return, sometimes also boiler flow and return to cylinder, lead waste pipe, iron soil pipe, ventilation duct) to earth wire of each electrical circuits entering the bathroom (usually lights, sometimes also fan, immersion, CH pump, shower, shaver socket)

You can do the bonding immediately outside the bathroom, e.g. in an adjacent airing cupboard if this is convenient.

If you have two bathrooms you have to do them both.

Once you have bonded to the lighting circuit, e.g. at the switch, you do not have to bond to that circuit again, e.g. at each of six spotlights.

see also
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:earthing_supply_types_and_bonding

Then you have a different problem. Start your own thread.

Sponsored Links
John thanks for your help so far.
So the only circuit entering the bathroom will be the ceiling light so all I need to do is connect the earth from this to the sink, bath and radiator? If thats right what size earth cable do you suggest?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back