Supplier cut-out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello to all,

Some advice would good be as I've just started out after years of sitting behind a desk.(I was in Electrical Engineering not Insurance before anyone asks!!)

If you change a consumer unit and there is not a suppliers cut-out is it ok legally to cut the crimp wire and pull the main fuse? I've done it live before, but this current one is in such a tight location I don't fancy getting fried just yet!! :eek:

many thanks

Sponsored Links
Should ask DNO to come out, pull fuse and replace afterwards. They might be able to fit an isolator too to avoid such situations in the future.

Jambo

In a word NO.

And you probably expose yourself to more danger if the fuse is old, damaged, corroded or otherwise dodgy

Bite the bullet and get the DNO to pull it for you and while he is drinking a cup of tea move the tails from the old CU into the isolator you have fitted ready. Then as he finished his tea he can put the fuse back in and, with the isolator off you can work in safety.

<< must get a faster typist >>

Sponsored Links
Ok understood.

Have the DNO coming out anyway as beforehand I did a few tests and Ze was 20.4 ohms (TN-S). So they can do two jobs, maybe for the price of one!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back