Tails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How can I go about moving my consumer unit when the only way of isolating the supply is to pull the supplier's main fuse? Is it 'legal' to work on live tails?

If not, can I ask the supplier to come out and isolate the supply, or do I just ignore the seals, take out the fuse, do the work and pop the fuse back in without saying anything?

And while we're on the subject, is it 'legal' for an electrician to do just what I've suggested... or is there a better way?

Sponsored Links
it is a criminal offecnce to pull the suppliers fuse. (and dont even think of leaving live tails (least of all if you want to live)

the reason is that the supply company will want to check the work that has been done.

get an electrician

Thanks breezer, but I'm curious because I understand that no formal qualifications are needed to work as an electrician and a large number of practitioners are in that position. So how does somebody like that go about isolating the supply? Is there some 'competent person' clause or do you really have to get a representative of the supply company out - no doubt at some expense - to hang around while you dress and route tails to suit a new location?

I'd be grateful if anybody can expand further. Cheers

no formal qualifications are needed for most jobs, (alegedly) i must point out that i (for one) spent several years at college learning to be an electrican and a couple more years working for the company that paid for my aprenticeship i have (some where) my city & guilds qualifications to prove it (not that you asked)

you do need qualifications to be ...........an electrican (for example) the trouble is that most people think that being an electrican is all about lights and switches and what goes where, its a lot more than that ( a heck of a lot more)

you can call your self anything you like, but unless you have the proper qualifications you are NOT a what ever it is you claim to be

these people can often be noticed by the large stetson hat, spurs (not electrical) on their boots and the horse they arrive on.

I am sorry to say that you have been mislead by who ever told you that no formal qualifacations are required to be an electrican.

If some one were to read all the posts and info on here regarding electrical things and if they understood it, (ignoring the facts i have just mentioned) they could call themselves an electrician.

the truth is some "tradespersons" know how to fit a socket or light switch, because they have "watched some one else do it" but ask them WHY they do this or that or how do you calulate this or that and that is when they fall down.

we had our kitchen fitted a short while ago, by one man who did everthing (yes i asked to see and i did see his corgi card) I asked him how does he get on with the electrical side (obviously i did it for my kitchen)

guess what his answer was

"I watched some one else do it"

as for the consumers unit , you (or the electrician does) makes an apointment for the suppliers "inspector" to come round when every thing is ready to be connected, the "inspector" should then carry out several tests to make sure all is well with the new instalation the he pulls the main fuse connects the tails and re seals the fuse, leaving the old wiring / consumers unit which is now redundant in place.

if he does all the tests or not is up to him, but he is supposed to.

Sponsored Links
I needed 3 gcses at C or above in English maths and science just to get into collage then I needed to pass a test in maths science and IT the is some jobs were you don’t need any qualifications but electrician is not one of them. :!: :!:

breezer said:
these people can often be noticed by the large stetson hat, spurs (not electrical) on their boots and the horse they arrive on.
:LOL: neighhh, yeeeeehar .You made my day :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Nick3 said:
I needed 3 gcses at C or above in English maths and science just to get into collage then I needed to pass a test in maths science and IT... :!: :!:

So you reckon 11 O'levels, 4 A levels, BSc, MSc, PG Diploma, Teaching Certificate and 25m breast stroke will help then? ;)

Sorry to tease Nick, it's just that everybody I've asked about this issue (outside this forum) seemed to think it was no big deal. In fact several builders I know say that they just break the seals and get on with it. My brother (plasterer) has worked with many 'electricians' and says he's never yet seen a supplier's inspector, but he has seen main fuses being pulled as a matter of routine.

Thanks to Breezer for a comprehensive reply. Incidentally, I do understand most of the physics and calculations behind the electrical installation industry, but I couldn't find any references to the legalities of isolating the supply - any ideas which statute refers to it, or which BS?

Oh and thanks to everybody who is so willing to chip in to make this an excellent resource... I'll be back!

the rules state

Connections to installations or to other networks
25. - (1) No person shall make or alter a connection from a distributor's network to a consumer's installation, a street electrical fixture or to another distributor's network without that distributor's consent, unless such consent has been unreasonably withheld

also it says

(2) Every circuit breaker or cut-out fuse forming part of the fusible cut-out mentioned in paragraph (1)(c) shall be enclosed in a locked or sealed container as appropriate.

and i got it from here

Nick3 said:
some jobs were you don’t need any qualifications but electrician is not one of them. :!: :!:

Can't help laughing at your motto on the bottom of your post.

Be sure,be safe !!!!!!!!!

Not having ago at you but sorry to tell you this.

My mate who was a electrician of many years of experience was killed on site a month ago when he touch a live wire.You only got one life,like you said "be sure,be safe".

My brother, when 15, spent 12 hours in the local lock up helping the police with their enquiries after the meter reader came and saw that the fuse seals had been broken. As far as your supplier will be concerned you have tried to by-pass the meter and steal the electric supply (if you're still alive that is !!).

No breezer, he wasn't, sadly though my Mother ended up with an extra £250 (17yrs ago) bill to pay for re-sealing and the "alleged" stolen supply (and all he'd done was pulled off the tags when "bored", teenagers eh?)

Technically, breezer is correct and I think the regulations you may find useful are the 'Electricity Supply Regulations'.

In reality, what your friends say is probably true. Lot's of people do pull the fuse, including me. I have never had any come back, BUT I am a competant person AND I can produce verifiable certificates to prove that the installation is safe. Can you? Those certificates don't necessarily apply just to the work you've just carried out, but also on other parts of the installation.

The board's opinion will depend on who looks at the meter. I've been handed 2 dozen meters before by an LEB operative and he's come back a week later and sealed them all up. No inspections, certificates or anything else.

Other times I have had checks carried out, all of which have been fine. Whilst you think it's an easy job (true enough within reason), do you know what they will be looking for when and if they do inspect? How's your main bonding? How's your main earthing conductor? Are those conductors correctly sized according to the supply arrangements? Are all the circuit conductors within the board sized according to their protective device? What about your tail size? Are you aware of the requirements for tails? Just because 'that's how they've always been', it doesn't make them safe and acceptable. If you find yourself wondering about any of the answers to these and many other questions (I won't go into any more) then I wouldn't even bother trying.

Many people do pull the main fuse, many people also drink and drive. It doesn't make it right and it doesn't mean you'll never be caught. You might be lucky , but I would strongly advise anyone who is i) not competant, ii) not aware of the requirements and iii) not aware of the consequences, not to even try it.

Scoby_Beasley said:
My brother, when 15, spent 12 hours in the local lock up helping the police with their enquiries after the meter reader came and saw that the fuse seals had been broken. As far as your supplier will be concerned you have tried to by-pass the meter and steal the electric supply (if you're still alive that is !!).

Is your brother still in business cos' I could do with cheaper electricity :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back