Mains Cut Out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Guys

I had an electrician visit the other day to check a few things and he didn't like what he found!

It seems the previous house owner changed the old consumer unit for a new one but instead of using a cut out(?), used choc blocks. The sparky told me to get a cut out installed but who would do that? I rang my supplier (powergen) but after lengthy talks with their engineers, they didn't know what I was talking about.

In the good old days I would have rang East Mids Electric but who do I ring now? Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The easy rule is that you phone whoever sends your leccy bill. They are responsible for dealing with you, and then with either their own staff, or any agent they pay for looking after your meter point.

I think your visitor might have been talking about an isolator?

did he not offer to provide and install one for a fee?

Instead of your connector blocks (do they look like this:

p1443618_l.jpg
very amateurish

you should have one of these:
p1418152_l.jpg
only £3.79 at Screwfix

or else an isolator (big switch)
p2478524_l.jpg
in an insulated protective case to cut off power to the whole installation, though unless you've got more than one Consumer Unit, you shouldn't need one. i actually use a 100MA RCD as a whole-house isolator, and my PES connected it free, though this is not usually the best way to do it.

This is not a DIY installation, if your previous visitor isn't willing to do it you'll need to get another pro (more reputable than did the original installation). your electricity Co will probably do it at a price, but unlikely to be cheap.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the response guys.

picture says a thousand words

...sorry don't know how

The easy rule is that you phone whoever sends your leccy bill. They are responsible for dealing with you, and then with either their own staff, or any agent they pay for looking after your meter point.

...I tried them but they said the only thing they could think of (as you say) was an isolator which a sparky could fit.

I think your visitor might have been talking about an isolator?
did he not offer to provide and install one for a fee?

...he said he couldn't do it because he wasn't allowed to break the seals on the (big black box thing connected to the meter? might be the thing in your picture)

Instead of your connector blocks (do they look like this:
...the very same, very amateurish, you should see the rest of the house, the consumer unit has no PME to the meter. Sparky is coming back to do that ASAP.

East mids electric you say? Your REC these days should be central networks then

http://www.central-networks.co.uk/[/QUOTE]

...been in contact and arranged a visit - thanks.

Thanks again guys, I think all is in hand to be fixed.

Pete. :D

DIYIdoit said:
the consumer unit has no PME to the meter
That doesn't make any sense.
PME stands for Protective Multiple Earth and is a type of earthing arrangement (TN-C-S). The meter has no earthing point only connections for Live and Neutral.

I'm pretty sure I understand what he means. Be fair, he hasn't claimed to be a pro, and he's doing all the right things by having it inspected and rectified by the right people.

JohnD said:
I'm pretty sure I understand what he means. Be fair, he hasn't claimed to be a pro, and he's doing all the right things by having it inspected and rectified by the right people.
I am not having a go but he was suggesting that a pro gave him this information and unless he has copied it down wrong he may be being taken for a ride if he doesn't understand the terminology thats all.

DIYIdoit, I think your installation has a Protective Multiple Earth system (this is the usual way of doing it unless you have an overhead, or very old, supply) and the electricity company will have provided an earthing point at the head of the incoming main cables (but before the meter). This needs to be connected to your Consumer Unit using 16mmsq green and yellow cable, and also, with 10mm, to the incoming services for gas and water. The earthing cables do not go into the meter.

Does that sound like you were told?

(BJS_Spark, is that what you would have had in mind?)

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply, yes JohnD that's what he said (it's been done now).

Thanks for all your responses, us amatures do appreciate it.

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back