Supporting cables in exit routes

Indeed it would.

It would also be sensible for people writing engineering specifications to adopt a bit of precision.

Sponsored Links
If the wall has a door in it and the cable goes above the door, then IMO it would be sensible to ensure a fire cannot allow it to melt and drop down etc.
Indeed so. That's what I said, and that's what the current regulation requires. However, (assuming it sticks per DPC) in just over a month the requirement is going to be that all cables are "adequately supported against their premature collapse in the event of a fire", seemingly regardless of whether the situation is such that the 'premature collapse' would present any significant hazard.

Furthermore, I think that BAS is highlighting another inadequacy of the new regulation (which he has mentioned before), since I presume his comment relates, at least partially, to the fact that "premature" collapse is not defined - which makes the reg impossible to interpret.

Kind Regards, John

the fact that "premature" collapse is not defined - which makes the reg impossible to interpret.
There are areas of grey between the black and white, but although they have not defined the grey area threshold precisely, there is still a lot of area that is obviously covered.
If the fire brigade take half an hour to rescue people, if the building is otherwise intact, wiring that already collapsed would be premature.
If the house already collapsed, then it's ok for the wiring to fall down too.
Wiring that collapsed after half an hour but before the ceiling falls down would be the grey area.

Sponsored Links
Wiring that collapsed after half an hour but before the ceiling falls down would be the grey area.
It would - which presumably means that someone installing a cable in such a manner than it will not collapse for half an hour will not be able to be sure of whether or not it complies with the new reg.

As I presume BAS was implying by his comment about "precision", they could so easily have included, say, a "30-minute [or X-minute] fire resistance" requirement, in the same way that the Building Regs do for so many things - and there would then be total clarity.

... and they could perhaps have been clearer about the intended meaning of 'collapse' - since, as I've said, wiring which becomes detached from walls does not necessarily pose any significant hazard.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back