Supporting cables in exit routes

I vaguely remember those, I think. Weren't they in a strip which you cut to length?

I also remember (and still have an empty tin, somewhere) the loose material one mixed to a paste with water (or spit) and pushed into the hole - I think that stuff contained asbestos.

Sponsored Links
The fact that I can remember them (possibly) shows that I am getting old.
That makes two of us!
The "fibre" plugs that I can remember were not like asbestos but were brown and like sisal/rope etc. - with some type of stiffening agent.
Those are the ones I'm talking about - and they were around for a long timne before they got usurped by plastic ones. Maybe I'm actually older than you, because one of the things that preceded them was a sort of asbestos-based 'string', which one just suffered into the hole!

Being an inveterate hoarder, I still have a few of those old fibre 'Rawlplugs' around somewhere. I also have a 'Rawlplug tool', which was a type of cold chisel that one used to make the hole, before the days of electric drills of any sort (let alone hammer drills or SDS ones)!

Kind Regards, John

The long strips were made from jute. google is your friend https://www.rawlplug.co.uk/company/history/
Right.
The 1910 products are those of which I was thinking - made from jute (while I thought sisal/rope !)
At least they were NOT asbestos based.

They were around in Australia after WWII but have long since been replaced by plastic plugs - invented in 1967 - according to the referenced site.

The melting of plastic plugs under fire conditions may be a good reason to bring jute based Rawlplugs back.

Sponsored Links
At least they were NOT asbestos based.
Indeed not. However, this stuff (the 'asbestos string' I mentioned) unashamedly was (that's what "it says on the tin" :) ) ...

Rawlplastic-asbestos-plugging-compound-tin-empty.jpg

Kind Regards, John

.... "fibre wall plugs" .... the need for something which would not melt in a fire situation might be a good reason for "bringing them back".
No need to wait, Mr Fleabay can sell you some now (click here)

s-l1600.jpg

Kind Regards, John

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
You can still find a limited range of (old stock) fibre wall plugs on ebay.

Apologies John...

Blooming heck Rocky! Thats 36p each!!!!

What about the trunking? that ought not be the rectangular plastic stuff stuck on the wall and over the doorways really, so it calls for a more costly (in time and materials) approach with metal and TBH I cannot see many doing that
because of the time taken, the material cost, the look. Mind you, the cowboys that do a sheite job dont give a monkeys about anything but getting out of there with their cash payments so nowt will change.

cool, but I cannot see a price for either of those so I assume that different sellers have different prices. nvm.
I hope they are far far less than 36p each. :)

they only tested ceilings. Plastic plugs into solid walls with a decent length screw are fine, imo.

Good point, pull out forces are most critical on ceilings
Indeed - and as the regs are for just a few more weeks, I would imagine that it's primarily cables clipped to ceilings which are the issue, since they are about the only ones likely to impede an escape route if they 'fall down'. Cables clipped to walls are virtually always kept fairly close to the wall by things other than the clips (i.e. accessories, 'equipment', cables disappearing into holes in ceilings or walls etc.).

However, when things change, so it's not just 'impeding of escape routes' we're talking about, I suppose that, 'sensible' or not, the reg will apply to all cables clipped to walls, as well as ceilings.

Kind Regards, John

If the wall has a door in it and the cable goes above the door, then IMO it would be sensible to ensure a fire cannot allow it to melt and drop down etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back