Supporting Decking overhang on concrete fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
any advice on attaching a batton to a concrete gravel board/fence riser?

an area of deck has has a seperate fence running along the side of it. I have left a gap around the edge in case it needs to be changed in the future (The fence is in two parts a concrete cast board about 12ins high and a wooden panel on top), I am looking run the deck boards up flush and fix them to a batton attached to the concrete..... my advice concerns how best to attach the batton to the concrete, or using a mixture to see about how they work, and to gain experience in various types of fixings. Am familiar with using plugs IN the house, but not outside....

Do masonry screws even need plugs? how about hammer-in/screw out type, what are they like?

Would it be best to attach an actual joist to the concrete, or could i use a smaller size piece? The distance is no more than about 150mm from the centre of the outer joist, up to the concrete portion of the fence.

Sponsored Links
it sounds like you will be drilling near the edge, so it will probably crack and break away.

The boards are about a foot high, and are about an inch dug in, so with the amount the deck is raised it works out about 4 or 5 inches in. The other option would be to fix the joist/baton directly to the posts (4ins square H posts) they're slightly further apart than the 1.5m recommended span but as it would be around the edge, and more than likely along the side of a cabin I intend to position, it would rarly get walked on - just don't want it to collapse if the kids go down there or something.

It's usual to build a perimeter supporting frame for the decking. Are you trying to avoid doing that?

Are you using the fence to take the weight, or for some other purpose?

Sponsored Links
No, At present the fence only serves as a boundry marking, getting in the way a bit sort of thing. since it's not Sqr, and the frame is, there is a void of between 3-6 inches approx along the side. but i want have the deck boards running up flush to it so it's tidyer.

Since theres such a gap between the joist and the fence to span, i'd ratherput something under them so they don't snap if they get walked on. I reckon they'll be ok, but if, or rather when i get round to repairing/replacing the fence panels i don't want to have to do the boadrs too.

Since the maximum distance is only around 6 inches do i need to use a section of 4x2 joist.

The boards are 32mmX150mm.

Wouldn't hurt to put some underneath at the end, maybe laid flat and screwed in with 2 screws per deckboard. The ends will still be floating but at least that way, each joist if stepped on will be supported by its 'neighbours'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back