Supporting loft conversion landing - what would you do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening folk,

I was wondering if you helpful lot could give some suggestions on how to frame the new floor landing of a loft conversion.

Basically I'm having a double dormer loft conversion which is set over two levels. They are accessed by a dog leg staircase, the first flight of which reaches a half landing at level 1 (red) and the second flight of which reaches the main loft space at level 2 (blue).

I need to support both landings. The easy thing to do would be to attach a trimmer from point A to point B, which could support both the half landing, and have a post at mid span sitting on said trimmer that could support the level 2 landing (i.e. the bit in the green cloud). The problem is that the wall underneath point B is a flimsy 3x2 stud wall that sits on a single joist.

I am baffled at how to frame this. Is there any simple/common way to do this that I'm missing? I found a photo of a post supported landing online (attached) but I don't really want to use this if I can help it.

Cheers all

Screenshot 2020-04-30 at 19.40.27.png Screenshot 2020-04-23 at 18.35.46.png

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back