Supporting pier size/construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all. I need to construct a pier to take one end of two beams which will span about 5 meters.
The drawing states to create a 360 x 360 x 210 fletton brick pier. Currently where this is to be created there are two joining walls. One 250mm with 50mm cavity and one 100mm wall. I will have to take the corner of where these join to make the pier.

Firstly the 360 x 360 x 210 makes no sense to me and assume to be 360 x 210. Secondly I presume this doesn't have to be in fletton brick or even an engineering brick and could be done in standard concrete blocks placed on their side?

Any thoughts are welcome. I can't get hold of the architect which is why I am asking here.

Sponsored Links
Looks like 360 (top dimension), 360 (right side) and 210 (bottom and left sides).

Would it be fletton bricks to match what is elsewhere externally?

I was told by my SE not to use blocks on their side as they are inherently weaker when laid that way.

Assuming stuff like that is going to land you in a world of misery.
Compressive strength of flettons is about 5 times that of lightweight blocks and about 3 times that of dense blocks. That might be important in a pier.
The specified padstone would be a bit pointless at 360 x 360 x 150 sat on a 360 x 210 pier.
How you get 360 out of 205 bricks - not a clue. Maybe the SE has played a numbers game (20N/mm2 = that size pillar) without thinking about block sizes.
Whatever, you need to talk to them before you go much further

Your structural engineer has specified Fletton brick, that is what you must use, unless he agrees something different.

Sponsored Links
Looks like 360 (top dimension), 360 (right side) and 210 (bottom and left sides).

Would it be fletton bricks to match what is elsewhere externally?

I was told by my SE not to use blocks on their side as they are inherently weaker when laid that way.

Interesting point about blocks being used on side. No fletton are not used elsewhere and it is my opinion that this is just a copy and paste drawing note regarding the flettons.

I will have to give him a call and see.

Architects drawings annoy me - most seems so fluffy. I'm from an engineering background where things should be properly specified.

Probably raises the question, have you got the SE calcs or only the architect’s drawings?

The SE will be the one to rely on to tell you exactly what to use. I used concrete commons on mine.

Interesting point about blocks being used on side. No fletton are not used elsewhere and it is my opinion that this is just a copy and paste drawing note regarding the flettons.

I will have to give him a call and see.

Architects drawings annoy me - most seems so fluffy. I'm from an engineering background where things should be properly specified.

I ordered some "fletton" from Ridgeons a while back and they sent me some regrade bricks saying they will do the same job.

Just looking at the compression strength of flettons they are 25N/mm2 which is the same as the spec for these regrade ones I've got so presume that they will indeed be fine. The compression strength is much higher than your standard concrete block. Motor also seems to have a much lower compressive strength than 25N/mm2.

A reply from my architect;

"
Hi Paul
The pier is L shaped 360 (one and a half bricks ) in two directions and 210 (one brick thick)
The suggested regrades are fine ."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back