Supporting plasterboard from the rear?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I've taken an old radiator off in preparation for the plumber to pipe up the new one. A section of the plasterboard where the old radiator was seems very flimsy with little support behind it (you can flex it when pressed). My question is how do I support this board from the rear? I was thinking of drilling a 12mm hole and using some foam to brace it against the block cavity. I hope this makes sense - thoughts???

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a good idea to me. I would start drilling and filling the holes from the top, as the foam may drop to where you need it meaning you wont need so many holes. Also don't go too mad with the foam or it may push the board out as it expands. It may even be best to do a few holes at a time giving the foam a chance to harden. Obviously this all depends on the size of the board and the size of the gap behind it. Just use common scene.

Cut it out (square), screw a couple of battens across the opening, screwed through existing board into batten, put it back in, screwed to the battens. That’s assuming you’ve got room for the battens between board and block. If not, just stick it back in to the block with no more nails or dab adhesive, or some spare plaster.

Or if it’s never gonna be seen as it’s behind a radiator, don’t bother...

Sponsored Links
Foam isnt particularly hard. I'd drill a small hole at the centre of the problem and inject a good dollop of Gripfill or similar. That board won't be going anywhere after that sets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back