"SURESTOP" - DOOR JAMMING DEVICE!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A close neighbour, in the past week, was robbed of her watch and rings, at knifepoint, by a huge guy that forced his way into her hallway when she answered her door, in the early afternoon and it was in the middle of one of the worst hailstorms ever, in London!

My family are, naturally, now a bit apprehensive about answering the door (probably a good thing) but on speaking to the neighbour concerned, she told me that judging by the size of the intruder, he would have had little trouble in forcing the door open, even if she had put the security chain on.

When speaking to a pal about this he gave me a device, now 14 years old, but unused which he told me was much better than a security chain.

The device is called "Surestop" and was sold by NSA, a network marketing company that has now disappeared.

Basically, when activated, by pushing a lever with your foot it prevents the door from being opened any further by any amount of physical pressure from the outside but still enables the door to be closed!

The device is easily deactivated by pressing another leaver on top.

The thing I would like to know is if anybody has ever come across this device and whether it actually works, or not!

Sponsored Links
I am doing so - I fitted it to the door this morning (4 screws) but it would give me more peace of mind if I knew that somebody else had one fitted in the past and any favourable comments.

On the other hand if somebody can confirm, by personal experience, that it doesn't work, I would really like to know!

The thing that worries me is that if the device really works, why is it not still being sold?

I know NSA have long gone but surely another company would have taken up the idea!

Barbusa said:
I know NSA have long gone but surely another company would have taken up the idea!

not if it was a non selling product, like it sounds it is, if it was that good we all would have heard of it, becasue as you suggest some one else woud have sold it

Sponsored Links
Try fitting a door viewer, and not opening the door until you know who's there, and what they want.

There are some meaty door chains on the market which, if fitted correctly to a substantial door and frame, will offer some serious security.

This product sounds like the one you mention, but it's not foot operated - it uses the intruders own force against them. http://www.doordefender.co.uk/

picture! picture!

I came across a stop that slides in a curved track in the floor, looks strong, but a bit of a job to fit it.

You can get some quite good door chains.

No the device I have is not like the "door defender"!

When I tried to look it up on the net last week the only reference I could find was on a Dutch site:-

http://www.marktplaats.nl/

where it is listed as "NSA sure stop Deurstopper"

I also found an old press release at:-

http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=43006

the link provided took me to another site but I was unable to find any more info!

Update:

My Pal has since found a few more (6), together with some NSA sales literature and some 200 degree door viewers (apparently, quite revolutionary when they were first released over 15 years ago), when he was attempting to tidy his cellar (a really huge task given the amount of "junk" down there!).

The literature claims that the device is capable of withstanding a half ton of pressure!

I suggested that he try advertising them on various local free ad sites to see if he got any response!

He has done this and has now received over 20 emails from people that want them but ............ they are all from people living in the USA!!

Apparently, NSA products are still popular over there, particularly their water filters, but it seems that the 'Surestop' was only marketed in Europe!

The incident with the neighbour has started a move to set up a "Neighbourhood Watch" something that we had up until about 18 months ago when the person running it had to give up the job, due to her husband being transferred abroad and guess what? They were Americans!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back