Surface-mounted sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I bought my house in 1984 the Building Society insisted that I had a full re-wire, which was done before I moved in. The BS sent an inspector to sign off this work and a few other things, which he duly did. He commented that the re-wire was a good job. Most of the double sockets were put onto the skirting boards, which I know was OK in 1984.
I have been watching 'Homes Under the Hammer' recently and one thing that they always seem to spot in the properties up for auction is the placing of plugs on skirting boards.
How much of an issue is this? We never use high-power appliances in the plugs and they are all in good condition. (The kitchen ones are mostly wall-mounted at counter height).
How big a job would it be to put 10 double sockets above the skirting into the wall?
How much (London prices)?
Should I bother? Our CU never trips and we have never had any issue with the sockets.

Sponsored Links
How much (London prices)?
Should I bother? Our CU never trips and we have never had any issue with the sockets.
The only way to get prices is to have an electrician or two to view the site and give you a price. There are too many variables.

I wouldn’t bother. There is nothing electrically wrong with sockets on skirting boards. There will be a lot of making good needed - new skirting boards, filling/replaster of cable chases etc.

Given a 1984 date, I would get a report done on the installation with a view to updating the consumer unit which will probably be without today’s safety features.

Thanks for the prompt reply. Yes, the CU is more of a priority I think. So why do the 'experts' on HUTH get stressed about surface-mounting of plugs?

I think its more to do with the position, easier access if the sockets are up the wall, especially if you have a bad back/ wheelchair etc.

Ours are just above the skirting boards sunk into the walls, never been an issue.

Sponsored Links
If you consider that skirting boards are there to protect the base of the wall from damage caused by the use of vacuum cleaners, movement of heavy objects, accidental kicking by humans, etc., mounting sockets on them exposes them to the same vulnerabilities & more so if they are surface mounted and protrude into the room.

In some cases, some are mounted so close to the floor there is hardly room for the flex to bend below the plug.

It was considered bad practice even back in 1984. Normal back then was around 15" up from the floor, certainly they should never be so low that the flex would be stressed of a plug, plugged in. It was also common back then to have certain plugs at high level for easy access, where it might be frequent.

I suppose on HUTH they think sockets on skirting boards indicates 'old', but obviously this wouldn't be the case if it was re-wired using those positions.

If they are fixed into the skirting then the cable would be behind it also. Raising them would mean making joints to extend them up the wall. Not really practical for 10 of them. The ring would need a full rewire.

If they are fixed into the skirting then the cable would be behind it also. Raising them would mean making joints to extend them up the wall.
Sockets on skirting boards were commonly surface-mounted, with a very short bit of cable also surface mounted on the front of the board (below the socket, and not visible unless one crawled around on the floor), taking the cable down through the floor. However, that does not alter the fact that, unless there was an unusual amount of slack in the cable below the floor boards, the cable would have to be extended if one wanted to move the sockets up.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for your replies. Forgot to say that my brother-in-law had a survey done prior to purchase and one of the comments was that the plugs on the skirting should be re-positioned in order to comply with the regulations. He was told by the electrician who came that there were worries about fire issues (which he personally had never come across.)

There are no regulations that dictate the positioning of sockets in anything other than brand new properties.

There are NO fire issues regarding placing surface-mounted sockets ON wooden skirting boards.

Can we clarify that the sockets are mounted on patress boxes on the surface of the skirting?

Also, I’m a bit lost. In your original post you are talking about a house you bought. But later it’s your brother in law’s. What’s the real story?

There are NO fire issues regarding placing surface-mounted sockets ON wooden skirting boards. Can we clarify that the sockets are mounted on patress boxes on the surface of the skirting?
A relevant question. When I moved into my present house, there were some 'flush' sockets simply attached by woodscrews over holes which had been cut in (massive, 'hollow', Victorian) skirtings with no back box at all - 'not good' (!) but I suspect an incredibly small fire risk. In a few cases, there was a variant of that (presumably relatively recent - in 1987) of plasterboard boxes having been put into holes in similar skirting - which I suppose was 'a bit better'.
Also, I’m a bit lost. In your original post you are talking about a house you bought. But later it’s your brother in law’s. What’s the real story?
I thought he mentioned his B-I-L simply as 'another example' (maybe much more recent than the OP's 1984 inspection) of an 'inspector' having commented on sockets on skirting boards.

Kind Regards, John

Correct. Mine was1984; my brother in law was 2010. I remembered that he had commented when he came round and noticed our plugs. All mine have back boxes (patress boxes?). My BIL had the plugs moved as part of a major rewire and it was never imposed upon him. I expect that the surveyor was simply trying to help. (My surveyor in 1984 pointed out that the chimney would need re-pointing in the near future. Anyone know a good roofer?)

(My surveyor in 1984 pointed out that the chimney would need re-pointing in the near future. Anyone know a good roofer?)
I don't know what it is about surveyors and chimneys :).

Since a family member of mine is in the business of buying, refurbishing and selling houses I see a lot of surveys, and its quite unusual to see one which doesn't say that the chimney (if there is one) needs re-pointing :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back