Surface mounting a spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to mount a 13 amp socket on an oak pillar just above floor level. I propose to take a spur from an existing socket approx 3 m distant however the cable will have to be surface mounted and needs to run just above floor level and be secured to the bottom frame of a sliding door, which is thick enough to take a nail.

Is it OK to route the cable through surface mounted ducting? I've just read about a product called D-line which can be stuck to the surface and is available in an oak finish so could I use that for a power cable?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Is it OK to route the cable through surface mounted ducting? I've just read about a product called D-line which can be stuck to the surface and is available in an oak finish so could I use that for a power cable?
It is okay to use containment such as trunking and conduit to route cable,so that is fine.
As far as the spur is concerned, you must firstly identify the circuit and what part of the circuit the socket you are taking the feed from takes.
As you cannot take a spur from a spur on ring final circuit, unless the existing spur is a fused spur directly from the ring.
Also any newly installed socket will require 30mA RCD protection, if the circuit you are taking the feed from, does not already have this.

Sponsored Links
The unfused spur is protected against fault current by the circuits fuse which satisfies 433.2.2 (i) hence (ii) doesn't need to be applied.

The unfused spur is protected against fault current by the circuits fuse which satisfies 433.2.2 (i) hence (ii) doesn't need to be applied.
Yes, I agree - and my apologies for confusing things by typing 'FCU' (which would have been an odd thing to find in an unfused spur :) ) when I meant 'socket' - now edited to correct!

I've no idea where it comes from, but the infamous OSG suggests that the length of an unfused spur should not exceed one-eighth of the cable length from the spur to the furthest point on the ring!

Kind Regards.

Thanks to all.

How do I identify whether the socket I propose to take a spur from is itself a spur? The house is 6 years old and has not had any other electrical work done since then so could I assume it's not a spur or is it normal practice to include spurs even on initial installation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back