Suspected collapsed drain - Who is responsible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We think the drain leaving our property may have collapsed right under our neighbours rear extension. We are at the top end of a run so the drains all flow downwards from our house. The collapse does not affect out neighbour as their drains connect up after the collapse.

Who is responsible for fixing this drain?

thank you

Sponsored Links
where do the gutters at the front off the house drain too ??

No matter who the water company is it is thee water company's responsibility, you are only ever liable for drains within your property. So contact your water company if you are having problems and they are outside of your property boundary. It is not your neighbours responsibility, though they may be liable for repairs if they have damaged the run or caused the collapse by building over it (see text below).

sewer_responsibility.jpg

Drain ownership was simplified in 2011, that is the water company's effectively took over the ownership and maintenance for any drains not in blue (above) however that meant that anyone building over or near a sewer from then on had to apply for permission and should have built it to certain regulations/rules. So it begs the question, when did your neighbours build their extension?

Last edited:
Wow great diagram thanks. If its correct then the problem drain would be responsibility of the water company, good news for me and the neighbour. Their extension was certainly built before 2011

Sponsored Links
Drain ownership was simplified in 2011, that is the water company's effectively took over the ownership and maintenance for any drains not in blue
Thames water replaced the drains from my house and my neighbours including digging up two two shared driveways and two patios as they went along the back of the houses, down one drive, across the pavement and connected into the main sewer in the street on the other side of the road. As I understand it, if a drain is shared, it’s the responsibility of the water board to maintain it no matter whose property it is on. Took about 6 weeks and cost around £80k including forming a new manhole in my drive, modifying an existing manhole in another drive and forming a new manhole in the road to connect up the main sewer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back