suspended cable to Detached garage

Sponsored Links
Good question - but I suppose that it nearly always is black, and I'm not even certain how UV resistant it is.

Kind Regards, John
I just asked a cable shop on eBay and he said SWA is not UV resistant and I should use H07RN-f Rubber cable which I think is the sample I posted a photo of earlier.

So it appears my options are I can either have SWA, with shielded earth protection but is not UV resistant or Rubber cable which is UV resistant but does not have earth shielding !

So it appears my options are I can either have SWA, with shielded earth protection but is not UV resistant or Rubber cable which is UV resistant but does not have earth shielding !
So, SWA is not an option, then.

Use the rubber and resist the urge to hit it with a spade.

First off the cable should be black, despite the experiments we've been watching, as black is the most UV resistant colour.

BT for example: anything exclusively underground tends to be natural polyethelene, anything expected to be in the sun (aerial cable, clipped to a poleor building etc) has carbon added to the poly, making it black. The white internal cable we see in our houses always had a maximum length to be used outdoors in BT rules.

The silver cable you were shown does sound like SY and is totally unsuitable... The outer sheath will turn yellow/brown very quickly in the sun (Probably start showing in a few days in the sort of weather of the last week) and it will give the appearence of going rusty, depending on - presumably manufacturer - it will either go extremely brittle and crack or go very soft and sticky. If I encountered SY cable used for such a span I'd consider grey T&E to be a significant upgrade !

Sponsored Links
Eland disagree. ...
Thanks - as I said, I didn't know whether or not the sheath of SWA is UV-resistant/stable.

However, that doesn't alter the fact that the sheath is nearly always black (fairly matt black, at that). Considering what I observed in my (very short-term (until the sun became hazy) experiment with black conduit on Tuesday, I imagine that similarly-exposed black SWA would probably have reached well over 60°C after a while - and if one wanted to design with that possibility in mind, a quite substantial de-rating would be necessary.

Kind Regards, John

Is SWA not rated at 90°C ?
If its XLPE-insulated, then yes, but so what?

Looking at the maths/physics simplistically, if the ambient temp (i.e. temp of conductors with no current flowing) is 30°C, then that means that the CCC will be that current required to raise the conductor temp by 60°C (taking it to the max of 90°C). If the ambient temp is, as I was suggesting, more than 60°C, that means that less than 30°C temp rise due to current can occur (before one hits the 90°C limit) which, in simplistic terms, means that the CCC would be less than half of what it would be with an ambient temp of 30°C.

We were initially talking about (probably "70°C") PVC-insulated T+E, in which case the situation would be much more dramatic. If the ambient temp (temp of conductors with no current flowing) were >60°C, then the amount of current which could flow through the cable before conductor temp reached 70°C (i.e. "the CCC") would be very small.

Kind Regards, John

Will it be OK to use plastic cable ties to secure the cable, SWA or Rubber, to the Catenary wire or are there metal ties available that don't rust ?
thanks

Best option is a leather strap. Tie wraps in sunlight become brittle and can snap in wind weather

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back