Getting power to my detached garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm trying to get power to my detached garage - so far I've Tapped into the porch light and run and old cable from some lights I pulled out a while ago under the garage door. I've nailed the cable down flat so it's not a tripping hazard I'm just a bit stuck on wiring in the sockets in the garage can any one offer a suggestion. The cables are really old and I'm not sure which colour goes in which hole...

...only kidding!! Can you imagine?! I DO want to get power there but I don't think I'd be allowed to do it myself legally, and wouldn't know where to start after being told about voltage drop and load on different cable sizes!

I was wondering how much of it I can do myself? Eg
- Can I put sockets on the wall and light fittings on the ceiling with no power connected?
- Can I run a conduit to the garage? (& does the cable need to be buried, or can it go along the wall of the house and be suspended across a small gap to go into the garage via the bottom of the roof?
- Can I run cables around it all and just not connect to the mains?

Any guidance would be really appreciated to try and make it a bit more affordable for me! At the moment I just have an extension running from an outdoor socket which is less than ideal :(

Sponsored Links
Ask a recommended, registered electrician for their help. They will have to certify their work so will want to do all the install work but most will be quite happy to let you dig trenches, bash and drill holes etc etc.
It will be cheaper in the long run to do it this way rather than you paying the notification fee.

I was wondering how much of it I can do myself? Eg
- Can I put sockets on the wall and light fittings on the ceiling with no power connected?

Yes, but the lights won't be very bright.

- Can I run a conduit to the garage? (& does the cable need to be buried, or can it go along the wall of the house and be suspended across a small gap to go into the garage via the bottom of the roof?

Run it wherever you like.

- Can I run cables around it all and just not connect to the mains?

Don't see how anyone could have a problem with this.

Bit like fitting a central heating system - as long as you don't connect it up to the gas, your laughing - won't be a very warm house though
(

Sponsored Links
You still had to highlight text and click a button to make it blue, and since the colour stays selected you would have had to pick a different one and then manually over-type it with 'blue' the second time.

So more work for you for a less helpful result because you can't be a***d.

T**t.

You still had to highlight text and click a button to make it blue, and since the colour stays selected you would have had to pick a different one and then manually over-type it with 'blue' the second time.

So more work for you for a less helpful result because you can't be a***d.

T**t.

Charming.

You must be really good friends with the moderators on this forum to have lasted as long as you have.

Why would 'how' I write something bother you - maybe you just don't like anyone else trying to be funny - you want that all for yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back