suspended cable to Detached garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20+ years ago my late father ran some twin and earth from the house to the detached garage, the distance being about 2m. He tied the cable to a tensioned wire which was bolted at each end to brickwork. I have just had the Electrics tested for a Landlords Certificate and he said not only has the cable to be disconnected but it has all to come down so it can't be re-connected when he's left.

We discussed other options, I discounted laying armoured cable underground as it would mean digging up the patio, so he said if I wanted to run a suspended cable between the buildings it would have to be armoured cable. Not sure how that would be supported, presumably by a tensioned wire again.

That sounds a bit extreme to me so I thought I'd ask if there were any easier and cheaper, options, eg; running some kind of conduit with cable in the middle or something like that perhaps, or how about using Orange high vis cable ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
T&E is not suitable for use outside or for suspending overhead.
Armoured cable could be used there.

Cheaper than what? A few meters of SWA isn't exactly expensive.
SWA needs appropriate boxes & glands at either end and is a lot heavier so not sure the tensioned wire will support its weight

Sponsored Links
Will suspended NYY-J pass inspection / regulations ?
According to Manufaturers data it should as long as it's not 'at risk of mechanical damage'.

Oh and by the way disconnecting but leaving the existing cable in place should pass inspection. Once disconnected it it is irrelevant to the electrical installation.

I suspect most wouldn't have worried much about the T+E on a catenary wire anyway - garages were often done like this back in the day, and the catenary wire tended to be earthed at the garage end.

But people worry so much now.

I seen recently garages done with a catenary wire, with some black FLEXIBLE 20mm conduit, containing 6mm2 T+E.

It looked a bit hideous, but did the job I suppose.

According to Manufaturers data it should as long as it's not 'at risk of mechanical damage'.

Oh and by the way disconnecting but leaving the existing cable in place should pass inspection. Once disconnected it it is irrelevant to the electrical installation.
Thankyou

I suspect most wouldn't have worried much about the T+E on a catenary wire anyway - garages were often done like this back in the day, and the catenary wire tended to be earthed at the garage end.
I was just wondering what all the fuss is about.

T&E might be said to be 'not suitable' for external use but it lasts years and I have no idea how being suspended might affect it.

As to the inspection:

It must be disconnected immediately and removed, therefore :

obviously worse than C3 - improvement recommended,
obviously worse than C2 - potentially dangerous,

so, presumably even worse than C1 - danger present.

Can anyone explain?

T&E might be said to be 'not suitable' for external use but it lasts years and I have no idea how being suspended might affect it.

As to the inspection:

Can anyone explain?
It can't be C1 as he explained if they find any C1's during inspection they must make them safe which would then downgrade it to a C2
He has classified the suspended cable to the garage as F1

As to the inspection:

Agreed
Can anyone explain?
No

But people worry so much now.

I seen recently garages done with a catenary wire, with some black FLEXIBLE 20mm conduit, containing 6mm2 T+E.

It looked a bit hideous, but did the job I suppose.

I never understand why this is done with flexible conduit rather than semi rigid.

One of the places I've worked took on another building about 25m away on the industrial estate, we installed 55mm wastepipe strapped to catenary for the various cables between the buildings, mostly cat5.

We solvent welded the joints, the only reason it looked hideous was the sag over the distance.

Last edited:
Quite so.
Yep, and I would personally say it would be stretching things a lot to seriously regard it as a C2.
As to the inspection: .... so, presumably even worse than C1 - danger present.
Can anyone explain?
Sure - as, I imagine, also can you :) .... either the person (maybe an 'electrician'!) who undertook the EICR hasn't got a clue and/or he was hoping to make money by attending to "... not only has the cable to be disconnected but it has all to come down so it can't be re-connected when he's left." (and then re-doing it in some fashion)!

As for "... it has all to come down so it can't be re-connected when he's left", someone who tried that on in my house would have a field day -= one doesn't have to look too hard to find generations of ancient cables (including VIR and lead-sheathed and single-insulated singles) anf even some ancient accessories which "could be reconnected when he left"!

Kind Regards, John

What would be an appropriate de-rating factor for the cable when inside a black conduit that was being heated by solar radiation ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back