Suspending coax for tv aerial

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put a TV in a summerhouse in my garden. I am thinking that the easiest way to get the signal to the TV is to run a length of coax from the eaves of the house to the summerhouse. If I do this it will be only about 5 metres of suspended cable and I was thinking of winding the coax round a catenary wire and securing it with cable ties at about 40 mm centres.

Is there any problem doing this with coax?

Sponsored Links
i have coax from my house to my workshop around 25ft away looped on a hook house end and fixed shed end just cable no wire been like that since 2005
i was going to replace it when it failed but it hasn't, yet it has stretched but only dropped about 8 inches

and yes i know you shouldn't loop coax:D but it was a temporary measure just to get it working

In USA they span aluminiun (sorry aluminum;)) coax for cable TV, just like telephone service.

Sponsored Links
just put an aerial on the roof of the summerhouse. or a nearby tree if you prefer.

align it to the compass bearing of your transmitter.

(see posts by @Lucid in threads such as
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/compass-reference.543248/

I found it useful to write the compass bearing on a label and fix it to my loft aerial in case it gets nudged
I thought that you weren't allowed to have an aerial on a shed/summerhouse etc if the summerhouse was constructed under "permitted development" rules

just put an aerial on the roof of the summerhouse. or a nearby tree if you prefer.

align it to the compass bearing of your transmitter.
It won't work as my house is between the Summerhouse and the transmitter. I also have a caravan so I have an app on my phone that shows the direction of all nearby transmitters. The app is great when arriving at a camp site.

I have erected many aerials, the problem is coax looses signal so there is a trade off, thicker coax and remote aerial, signal booster at aerial, local aerial, and it all depends what works in that location, I had the aerial on garage at last house so house was between winter hill transmitter and aerial so I could only receive Moel-y-parc as other wise TV was for ever retuning its self and swapping what numbers were which program.

Here Moel-y-sant is like the chocolate fire guard, rather useless, so only use satellite, it is rather pointless erecting any aerial, and I have seen coax of around 6" diameter to aerial arrays, although it was designed to receive very weak signals.

And when in Hong Kong I used 300Ω feeder cable selotaped to window as an aerial.

Any grounded metal structure will attract in an electrical storm, so we could not mount aerials on chimneys as soot lined so attracts, or gable ends as sharp corners also attract, but in the real world in UK no one tends to take much notice of that.

If it works use it.

It won't work as my house is between the Summerhouse and the transmitter. I also have a caravan so I have an app on my phone that shows the direction of all nearby transmitters. The app is great when arriving at a camp site.
out of curiosity what is the app that you use?

Screenshot_20220503-194513_DTV Antennas.jpg
out of curiosity what is the app that you use?
The app is called "DTV Antennas"
The screen shot shows what I see at home. Clicking on a transmitter gives more info including is the antena needs to be vertical or horizontal, this is handy in the caravan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back