SWA cable connection question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am going to be running some 6mm 3 core armoured cable underground and along the side of my house, my plan was to drill a hole near the CU through the wall, and run some T&E to the consumer unit. I will not be doing any of the main connections myself, what i would like to do though is put the junction box on the outside wall and connect the wires into that, this would mean i can then run all the armoured cable to the summerhouse before laying the patio over it, then i can get someone in to make the connections.

I have 2 questions, can anyone link me to a suitable outside junction box for what i need? I have the SWA already, would i then need a small piece of 6mm T&E to make the connection in the box and through to the CU?

Thanks

John

Sponsored Links
Thank you, would it be 6mm T&E that goes back to the CU to match the 6mm SWA?
I don’t want to be unhelpful but
If YOU are designing the circuit than you should know the answer. if you don’t, then find the electrician who you expect to “sign this off” and have him/her determine the spec.
He/she will have to certify that they
DESIGNED, INSTALLED and TESTED the whole thing. hard to do if they not involved at an early stage.

Sponsored Links
If you are setting the SWA cable in the solid patio I'll suggest you let the electrician mount the box, simply because it's often easier to put the box on the SWA while its in free space.

I totally agree with T2C's comments about getting your electrician involved now rather than later to ensure he is happy. It can be expensive and/or hard work to make corrections afterwards. I'm in the middle of sorting out some of these sort of issues in my daughters recently purchased house.

if it's that close to the consumer unit consider taking the SWA all the way and terminate there, one fewer connection and bringing it indoors would be helpful too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back