SWA cable, long run how to join

Even if the armour is not used as a CPC it must still be earthed at the supply end. Nothing electrically wrong with more RCDs than necessary (providing they discriminate), price is going to play a large part here I think. If an RCD is being used to provide supplementary protection against direct contact it should not exceed 30mA. Food for thought anyway.

Sponsored Links
Spark, if there is a seperate core in the cable that provides the CPC, then there is no requirement to bond the armouring, in fact Engineers would recommend against it as it introduces a parallel earth path which has the potential to introduce other hazards.

Personally I think this unlikely, but in my experience, where a cable has a seperate earth core, invariably it is due to the fact that the armouring cannot be earthed as the boards used are of the insulating material type..and so whilst the cable is terminated normally, it provides no Earth connection..

Plug..I take your point, and your right, that is why there should be a regulation specifically on this.

I'm sorry, I disagree. The armour of a SWA cable buried directly in the ground must be earthed to comply with BS7671.

Sponsored Links
I don't want to stir things (! :LOL: ), but why? And which regs are you referring to?

Not like you Secure :LOL:
Can't remember reg no off hand, seem to remember it comes under external influences, impact.

Spark, I hate to say this, but your remembering it wrong..If the cable has an integral earth core, then there is no requirement for the armouring to provide an earth path. The NICEIC technical manual used to recommend that it be connected to Earth regardless, and under the 15th edition it would need to be connected as extraneous metalwork, but under the current Regs this is not the case, although I do agree it would be good practice.

I am not NICEIC and am too young to remember the 15th edition :D .
I must admit I cannot remember ever installing a SWA cable where the sheath was not connected to earth at least at the supply end. I have just looked up the regulation I was referring to above and it reads as follows:
522-06-03 Except where installed in a conduit or duct which provides equivalent pretection against mechanical damage, a cable buried in the ground shall incorporate an earthed armour or metal sheath or both, suitable for use as a protective conductor, or be of insulated concentric construction......

Obviously by quoting 522-06-03 Spark123 has fully proved he is right and I can not believe that any claimed qualified spark would EVER consider installing an SWA or similar armoured cabled without the armour connected to earth at the supply end, whatever cores they use!!!!!!!!

BJS, I know the Reg, I was speaking in general terms and also of the need to install a cable correctly when buried in the ground..and that means in a duct for mechanical protection..as such the requirements of 522-06-03 do not apply. I do accept though that if you bury the cable as per the requirements, then you will install the cable electrically correctly, if you simply bury it in the ground without a thought to protection, then it is likely it will not be installed electrically correctly...

As I stated in my post, I think it good practice to do this anyway. I have always ensured, where possible, that cables buried in the ground have an integral Earth core and that the armouring is always connected to Earth at BOTH ends. Where an integral Earth is not practicable, then a sperate core is drawn in..but the armouring still connected to Earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back