SWA cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to run a length of SWA to my garden shed, but am not sure whether it should be 2 core with the steel braiding used as the earth or three core using one of the three cable as earth.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
I go for 3 core,the steel wire is used for mechanical protection as well as a supplimentary earth. Imagine digging your garden and hitting the cable with your spade it would damage your earth if thats all you had

It depends on a couple of factors - firstly the size of the SWA (above a certain size you'll find the capacity of the armour is not enough to act as an CPC), and secondly personal choice - some people prefer to use a separate core as the CPC even if it's not necessary...

Incidentally I assume you will be notifying this work to your LABC under Part P of the building regs?

I'd go for 3-core SWA, use one core as the cpc, but obviously still earth the armour.

If you intend DIYing this, do you know enough about circuit design, installation techniques & rules, and the issues associated with different earthing systems and outbuildings to be able to specify on your application for Building Regulations approval how you'll comply with P1?

Sponsored Links
Many thanks to you all for your help and advice and for taking the time out to reply. 3 core it is then!
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back