Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
SWA cable consists of:
a) Outer sheath
b) Steel wire armour
c) Inner insulation over conductors
d) Actual conductors.

I have glanded to an adaptable metal box and want to run the cable from there to CU. There is however a short gap between metal adaptable box and CU. Can I simply take the inner cable straight out and into the CU without having to put it in conduit i.e. is c) detailed in the above list constitute an outer insulator making the cable double insulated.

Of course I will run a separate earth for the armour.

Sponsored Links
how big a gap are we talking here?

on the subject of inner swa insulation, ive used xlpe stuff with a 'cream' coloured inner that breaks up like putty in your hand-very weak stuff.

on the other hand ive come across inner sheath on new xlpe thats tougher than old boot leather and a pain to strip.

I remember a batch of cable coming from cleveland cables once that hadnt been chalked and that was a right barstool to strip

Sponsored Links
The layer over the insulated conductors is called "Bedding".
The insulated conductors sit in the bedding to protect them from the SWA armour during flexion, pulling, etc.

No, run it through plastic conduit.

About 4" of separation between adaptable box & CU...
A) 2x 20mm female conduit fittings & short length of 20mm conduit

About 1.5" of separation between adaptable box & CU...
B) 2x MK Masterseal 20mm female conduit fittings & even shorter length of 20mm conduit (MK 56462)

The MK Masterseal 20mm conduit fittings are a highly plasticised PVC that is shorter - might be of use to you if space is tight. Stick them in the nozzle of a kettle, boil, remove & they will easily pop into a 20mm hole.

Since you are using a short run of conduit, you can remove the bedding and just run the SWA cores (as Singles) thro into the CU.

You could Make up the gap with galvenized sockets, brass bushes and nipples if necessary, or use plastic pipe with adapters on each end

Or a nylon compression gland may bridge the gap - remove the stuffing pieces so that you can tighten it onto the box/CU.

Key Q is the one industryspark asked - how big is the gap?

Thanks gents,

The gap is about 6" I couldnt get the metal box any closer, other cables in the way. I have opted for flexible conduit into female adaptors as its not perfectly straight, Im going to strip the lot back and run it in singles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back