SWA it is not!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, don't know if any of you remember my previous post

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=834027#834027

but went round my mates today to fit a new double metal clad socket in his garage and swa glands as discussed but upon taking the old socket apart and cutting back the insulation to get to the armour i discovered there is none!!

so checked what it said on the cable and it was 2.5mm flex H05V something, its about 30-40 feet long down to the detached garage clipped to the bottom of the fence, i'm guessing that this is a big no no

is his only option to have the cable replaced by swa or is there any way he can get around this?

Sponsored Links
Have done some sifting around on H05V cable, none that I can find say they are suitable for external supply, mainly, lighting and domestic appliances!!

You would want your mate to be safe and meet with regs.

So I would advice replacing with SWA or at least if you are burying it, place it in steel conduit.

You may find this easier to run above ground don't forget.

Oh yes, by the way, it is notafiable work!!!

can he run the steel conduit along the fence or will it be better to use swa without conduit?

he's only just moved in and their garden is in a state so they will be re doing it so burying won't be a problem except for the first metre or so where it leaves their house where there is concrete

demo_hammer.jpg
shovel_f.jpg
midlandmixerbm230emoscom.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back