Swann cctv system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to use a swann system from maplin just wondered if you can plug into a home network and control it somehow [/b]

Sponsored Links
I have one of the swann kits, (not from maplin!) and yes, it plugs in to home network via rj45, and then you can use the software provided on a laptop/desktop to configure some of the settings, and also view the cameras, download recordings, and if you have cameras that are connected to PTZ, you can control the functions of these from the application.

If you have a smart phone (iphone/android) or tablet i think you can also get the app for that, where you can do the viewing and PTZ stuff...

Best to find out what model DVR it is and have a look on the swann website to ensure it hooks onto your network (generally if it has an RJ45 port it will do!)

Mark, I bought a two camera (600 TVL) Swann system from Maplin in August 2012 - the price was good.

I now know from that experience that the cameras are pretty crud. I have already replaced one of them with a Twightlight 700TVL camera from CCTV Direct. Looking at the two images at the night time makes you realise hoe grainy and unclear the Swann camera is. I will replace the other camera in the next few weeks with a Twilight. By daylight there seems little difference in the image quality, but the Twilight does have a wider angle of view.

As for the Swann DVR that seems ok. The only downside I have noticed is that it only fast forwards / rewinds at 16 speed. 32 or 64 speed would be much better (if such a system exists?).

I have seen many more experienced users state on here to steer clear of Swann and look at CCTV Direct products instead. From my single experience of CCTV systems, certainly in regards to the cameras, I would say that is VERY GOOD advice.

I hope that helps.

The other thing I would add about motion detection is that fog plays havoc with it. My system was consistently creating events when it was foggy the night before last.

Sponsored Links
swann cctv system buy cheap buy twice....... have fitted a few for people who purchased them from maplins/costco most have failed ( harddrives). stay clear.

Mark I think there could be a lot of truth in that. However if you have a low budget they are a 'starting point', but I think you have to look at upgrading the cameras pretty soon, based on my experience.

I don't know the difference though between the different DVRs when comparing against Swann, and would be interested in the views of you professionals.

BY THE WAY I HAVE JUST REALISED THE SWANN CAMERAS I INITIALLY BOUGHT WERE 540 TVL (NOT 600 TVL)

we use CCTV direct for all of our CCTV equipment, due to 1; cost 2; delivery and also 3 warrantee.

the twilite cameras are good, all the range.
the DVR`s, well we only use the XDH (pro) and they are superb! never had a fault and or failure with any of the kit, set up is easy.

so if you want to compare prices/reliability you can keep your Maplins DIY rubbish and go to CCTV direct and get the lowdown

and yes tech support will talk you thu things if you need em!

and no i don't have a vested interest in them, they just supply what i want when i want it at a good price.

Oasis

swann cctv system buy cheap buy twice....... have fitted a few for people who purchased them from maplins/costco most have failed ( harddrives). stay clear.

Having looked at prices I don't think Swann are actually that cheap. So far I'm fairly happy with QVIS cameras.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back