Swann ...

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know people have said no to Swann before, but this kit is on offer today ...
I have been reading about Ring 2, Ring Cams, Nest Cams, Blink, and so confused.
Might settle for something like this Swann + cheap Ring doorbell

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Swann-Chan...296573&s=prime-day&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&sr=1-8

So, honest opinions ... am I still wasting my money.

I really really cannot afford more than £200.
I can't really afford more than £100 tbh, but need something before the holidays.
Thinking this might be the best I can get on a limited budged. Has POE and mobile app etc.

Sponsored Links
Swann is the cheaper end of the market but then again, I have had a 4 camera setup in my house and it’s been working fine for a few years right up until that hot day a few weeks ago when it overheated in my loft so for £189 I’ve ordered one of those in your link. I can have 8 cameras on that - my existing 4 plus the 4 new ones that come with that kit. I have a Swann 8 camera setup in work and that’s been going strong for years. Thanks for the heads up on that kit. (y)

Here in lies a common complaint regarding Swann equipment failure, lots of posts on here regarding this.

That said lofts aren’t good for electronics that are on 24 7 especially in hot weather

Right, so I wont keep it in the loft.

Not sure where I am going to keep it ...

Maybe I should get a plug put in here:

IMG_20190716_191603064.jpg

Have a bungalow. Router is in front hall. So easy place would be to have everything in the front hall, but does not strike me as being the most secure option!

Sponsored Links
kickspace under a kitchen cabinet?

(not the sink because of leaks)

Or under a hatch/trapdoor in the floorboards (preferably in a corner away from the door and traffic routes)

Garage?

Last edited:
Not a crazy idea ... cupboard next to fridge could be an option ... there is power there (for the fridge) and cables running up that corner of the kitchen would not be very noticeable... and it backs onto the lounge where there is an ethernet port ...

Not keen on drilling through any new ceilings or walls though! The central hall (not the front one where the internet and fuse box is) is still unfinished, and being central, means cables should reach front and back ... and I could hide the cables when I finally finish the room.

Cunning plan!

Last weekend I built a new bookcase in the lounge, right next to my PC and an ethernet point. There's a handy gap to the side. Reckon I'll keep the box on the bottom shelf out of sight, and run the cables up the side into the loft.

I just need to work out how to drill a decent sized hole there .... I guess make a small hole by hand, then locate it from above to make a bigger hole? Will be in the eaves.

IMG_20190716_225102531.jpg

As long as it’s out of sight. (y) One of the reasons I fitted mine in the loft (as well as the fact it was easier to fit and no cables were on show) was that should a burglar break in to a house with cctv, they may be tempted to take it/smash it up to destroy evidence. Might need to rig up a temperature controlled cooling fan to stop the next one from overheating though.

Yeah. I think this was has fixing screws? Might screw it to the bookcase out of sight.

OK, changed my mind. Might have been OK, but so many people were complaining about the app not working and poor support, and I want it largely for the app, rather than sitting reviewing images on the box.

So ordered these, recommended by a tech savvy friend. Wifi, free cloud storage, takes 12 second clips.
6176Sls0XsL._AC_UL115_.jpg

Neos NS-CAM-02 SmartCam
  • 1080P Full HD with live stream and 8x digital zoom - 2. 8mm Focal length. 110º wide angle lens. 1/2. 9" Cmos sensor
  • Motion & noise detection with alerts: when motion or noise is detected a 12 second video clip is automatically recorded
  • Free cloud storage. Videos are stored for 14 days for free and secured in a AWS cloud via an end-to-end encryption
  • Night vision: with F2. 0 aperture, ir-cut filter, and four 850Nm infrared LEDs. The Neos SmartCam night vision allows you to see up to 9 metres away even in total darkness
  • Flexible design: The unique design allows you to point the camera in precisely the right direction. The magnetic base connects to any metal surface or use the included metal plate and adhesive pad to mount the camera anywhere
  • Download clips: save video clips to your phone with a single tap and Share them with your family & friends
Night vision is very good too - my mates office, which is pitch black (according to his eyes) at night.

They also have mobile detector, so turn off when your (or any other connected) mobile is nearby, so you don't trigger it yourself.

I plan to have one in kitchen and lounge, both pointing towards the French doors, which are the weakest point on the house.
Will get a POE camera to point at the front door in case of pesky wifi scrabbling burglars. Not found a suitable one yet, but want similar - cloud recording, mobile notifications, no local storage box. But if I cant find a good POE one, then probably either the Blink XT or Nest Cam.

67068080_359758348040762_6333668025211813888_n.png

Swann is the cheaper end of the market but then again, I have had a 4 camera setup in my house and it’s been working fine for a few years right up until that hot day a few weeks ago when it overheated in my loft so for £189 I’ve ordered one of those in your link. I can have 8 cameras on that - my existing 4 plus the 4 new ones that come with that kit. I have a Swann 8 camera setup in work and that’s been going strong for years. Thanks for the heads up on that kit. (y)

Bo lux! £189 wasted - it was my power supply that had packed up, not the DVR. Oh well, the cameras in that kit are better than mine and at least I have a spare DVR unit now! Still, £189 for a £3 power supply..........:evil:

send it back, buy a new camera!

Can’t - already used the power supply and two of the cameras. Going to use the other two when I get round to it. Might have been tempted had I paid full price though.

Have a dummy box plugged in with cables disappearing into the wall, where an intruder will easily see it :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back