Swap Fused Plate to 3pin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon folks,

We’ve got a decommissioned alarm in the house which is wired directly to the consumer unit via a fused box (pictured). Can I just remove the fused plate and rewire it with a standard 3pin plug if I am getting rid of the spur to the alarm panel, or is there anything funky that I need to take into account?

Ta!

34BC7DC1-F53A-4D87-AFE9-C70481F78648.jpeg EC78D714-EEE5-4FCA-B90B-663B4D7C06CD.jpeg

Sponsored Links
What circuit is it connected to at the consumer unit ,and is it RCD protected ?

What circuit is it connected to at the consumer unit ,and is it RCD protected ?
It’s wired directly into the consumer unit with its own switch and RCD. Nothing else powered from it, just the old alarm

Sponsored Links
No RCD is the picture, and that is a 5 amp MCB, which would limit how much you could plug into the socket.

Would you consider fitting a 2 amp or 5 amp round pin 3 pin socket, and using a round pin plug to suit?

This would save you messing about changing things at the consumer unit.

Would you consider fitting a 2 amp or 5 amp round pin 3 pin socket, and using a round pin plug to suit?

This would save you messing about changing things at the consumer unit.
Can’t see that being an issue, it’s going to be one thing that sits there for the rest of time, so can stick a different plug on it.

Say I were to put a standard 13A socket on there, would a single bulb lamp cause the breaker to trip? If not, what sort of load would?

A load somewhat in excess of 6 amp ,the breakers rating !! One lamp wouldn't do it !!

A load somewhat in excess of 6 amp ,the breakers rating !! One lamp wouldn't do it !!
I did think that was the case, but thought I’d ask the question. Thanks for your help folks, super informative

It would take many, many lamps to trip that breaker.

The potential problem with using a standard 13 amp socket could be that a heavier appliance could be plugged in, and it appears you do not have RCD protection, so I think 2-5 amp round pin socket would at least eliminate that problem.

It would take many, many lamps to trip that breaker.

The potential problem with using a standard 13 amp socket could be that a heavier appliance could be plugged in, and it appears you do not have RCD protection, so I think 2-5 amp round pin socket would at least eliminate that problem.
Again, many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back